• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to buy Printer/Cutter..Suggestions

Arrow G

I am looking at getting a printer/cutter and have some questions. This would mainly be for personal use, but would expand to other items when possible. Since this will be mainly personal use, I want to keep my budget on the low end. Maybe no more than 15K including software.

1. How long does ink last when not printing? Say if I only print a small amount of items, would the ink go bad.
2. Would it be better to get a printer/cutter combo, or a printer and cutter?

I saw this video on sign warehouse and was curious if this system would be worth getting.

- 48" Mutoh-made PrismJET VJ Color Printer
- Speed Pak
- FlexiSIGN PRO Software
- 42" Q42 Vinyl Express Q-Series Cutter w/ARMS Registration Mark Sensor
- Inks/Cleaning Cartridges/Crossover Cable
- Color Camp Training
- 90 Day Premium Support Package (PSP)
- 1 Year on-site PREMIUM warranty

Thanks

ronl1975

Why spend that kind of money on something that is just gonna sit and/or mainly use for personal use ?

The Equipment Guy

If it is going to sit unused you are in a tight spot, budget wise you likely want older equipment, but the older stuff has a tendency to dry up if not run every day. Inkjets like to be run.

You might want to consider something from the HP or Epson line of aqueous based machines, not as outdoor hearty, but they can sit more. Or possibly a Gerber Edge system or a Summa DC4 sx (foil based systems)

If you are running it for personal use, and running in your house I would not run solvent and I refuse to sell it to people when they say they are doing so. Thats just me.

There's a bit of stuff on my website that may interest you or you can use for comparison shopping. www.theequipmentguy.ca

I will hand it to you, at least you are looking to spend fair money, for only slightly more you could likely buy new and get totally up to date machinery.

Craig

Arrow G

If it is going to sit unused you are in a tight spot, budget wise you likely want older equipment, but the older stuff has a tendency to dry up if not run every day. Inkjets like to be run.

You might want to consider something from the HP or Epson line of aqueous based machines, not as outdoor hearty, but they can sit more. Or possibly a Gerber Edge system or a Summa DC4 sx (foil based systems)

If you are running it for personal use, and running in your house I would not run solvent and I refuse to sell it to people when they say they are doing so. Thats just me.

There's a bit of stuff on my website that may interest you or you can use for comparison shopping. www.theequipmentguy.ca

I will hand it to you, at least you are looking to spend fair money, for only slightly more you could likely buy new and get totally up to date machinery.

Craig

Thank you ...This was the kind of information I needed to hear. I did not want to spend this type of money and regret it later. I will check out your site and read more.

luggnut

you must be loaded with money to be willing to drop 15k for personal use?

and the more your printer sits idle the more likely it won't run the next time you need it...

if its just for doing your stuff.. man you could do a full wrap and change it every year for 5 yrs for that money. or you could order a million decals for that!

and the learning curve is steep if you don't have any experience with them. color management, the RIP software, the media, installing the media, etc......

Rodi

Arrow, you are a candidate for a Summa… no worries about Ink lines drying up, it has an advantage of punch out of countour cuts plus spot colors. The cost per Sq/ft is higher, but if you won't be using it, you will be wasting Ink on the inkjet and that adds up too.

just my 2ç

jayhawksigns

I recommend a thermal as well, the Edge and DC4sx are the two options. With those two machines it a question of whether or not you want a lot of options on spot colors(Edge), or being able to produce prints 30" wide(DC4sx) and contour cut in one machine.

We have a Summa that is being delivered within the week.

Jim Doggett

I am looking at getting a printer/cutter and have some questions. This would mainly be for personal use, but would expand to other items when possible. Since this will be mainly personal use, I want to keep my budget on the low end. Maybe no more than 15K including software.

1. How long does ink last when not printing? Say if I only print a small amount of items, would the ink go bad.
2. Would it be better to get a printer/cutter combo, or a printer and cutter?

I saw this video on sign warehouse and was curious if this system would be worth getting.

- 48" Mutoh-made PrismJET VJ Color Printer
- Speed Pak
- FlexiSIGN PRO Software
- 42" Q42 Vinyl Express Q-Series Cutter w/ARMS Registration Mark Sensor
- Inks/Cleaning Cartridges/Crossover Cable
- Color Camp Training
- 90 Day Premium Support Package (PSP)
- 1 Year on-site PREMIUM warranty

Thanks

Absolutely. It's an amazing system. The print quality and choice of matetials to print on is truly incredible. And the cutter, software and training/support completes the solution so that you can be assured it works and you'll know how to use it.

The Summa printers are OK for some things. But the print quality is poor by today's standards. Really, thermal transfer is simply not keeping pace with inkjet ... the technology was showing its age when I left Summa three years ago, and it hasn't changed since then. Go inkjet. You'll kick yourself if you don't.

And perhaps there's something in the used market that's less. But when you replace worn parts or the print heads, and then add a service contract, the savings isn't what it seemed.

I'm with SignWarehouse. So I'm baised. But if you ask around, I think many will agree with what I've said.

I hope you'll consider us.

Best,

Jim

saktrnch

I wouldn't go with a smaller cutter than the printer. I priced Sign Warehouse a few years ago and they said at that time they would give me a 54" cutter for only $500 more with the 48" printer.

When I bought, I went with Fellers. The training and support can't be beat with Fellers. Sign Warehouse said they would send a DVD to show me how to set up the printer, and Fellers sent a man out for 2 days to set it up and train us how to use it. And Fellers beat everyone's price.

MachServTech

Arrow, you are a candidate for a Summa… no worries about Ink lines drying up, it has an advantage of punch out of countour cuts plus spot colors. The cost per Sq/ft is higher, but if you won't be using it, you will be wasting Ink on the inkjet and that adds up too.

just my 2ç

A good suggestion, but are you sure you even need a solvent printer? What kind of printing will you be doing? If it is indoor display graphics then aqueous is best (better image quality and the inks sit well for long periods) My personal feeling for outdoor durable is dont have a printer and cutter in one machine. It cuts down your flexibility for production.
I also like the HP L25500 for outdoor. No VOC and no wait befor lamination, also it sits well like aqueous printers.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
When you don't use an inkjet printer very much, the ink will build up in the waste lines as well as the heads drying out. They are made to be used a lot.

Using it for your own needs will make the maintenance cost steep. It would be less expensive in the long run to have someone print them for you. You would then have their experience and guaranty for a good print job.

Arrow G

Thanks for all the information. This is putting a lot of things in perspective. This would mostly be used in the begining for decals and wraps for RC cars. Hopefully as time went by other types of things. It seems that ink would be better, but now for how I am going to use it.

I currently have a cheap cutter (US Cutters LP24) and was wanting to upgrade to something a lot better. The printer seems to be something I need to put on the back burner for now and just look at getting a better cutter.Thanks again for all the information. It helps a lot.

Rodi

I would really suggest the Summa, it has size when you need it and they have great support.