• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to get a laminator.. what does signs101 think about this one?

Salmoneye

I think that this is the least expensive unit that they sell in this size. Won't do roll to roll type of operations. People will talk a lot of smack on them but I have heard some good things from people that own them. I am considering their unit that looks like the seal. Quick clamps, automatic release liner take up. Media feed bar with tension, separate kraft paper bar, media take up roller... ... 750lbs and you the stand is not removable. I don't know if I can get it in the room I want it in.

I think that this is the least expensive unit that they sell in this size. Won't do roll to roll type of operations. People will talk a lot of smack on them but I have heard some good things from people that own them. I am considering their unit that looks like the seal. Quick clamps, automatic release liner take up. Media feed bar with tension, separate kraft paper bar, media take up roller... ... 750lbs and you the stand is not removable. I don't know if I can get it in the room I want it in.

roll to roll type of operations??

Salmoneye

House, meaning if you want to take a 100' roll off of your printers take up roller, place it on the laminator start laminating continuously and have it roll itself back up automatically on the back side of the laminator.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I purchased one of these, a MJ-600, last year from MasterWarehouse or something BestDGI or whatever other name this guy (Dave) has going on. He ships from Orlando. I received was "fresh" off the container and the bolts did not all align with the stand. And on the stand there were holders for extra media bars, because of the previously stated issue with the stand the holder arms were about 1/2" too close and did not work either until I hit it with a hammer to spread them apart. See attached photo.

BE VERY careful when you sign and fax back the credit card authorization paper he sends to you. It is a contract and you are required to give up your rights to issue a chargeback with your credit card company if there are problems. I happened to meet this gentleman and his wife at the sign show in New Orleans and through a few emails and phone calls I had some trust. This trust made me miss the NO CHARGY BACKY clause on the purchase contract I had to fax him.

Our email and phone communication quickly ended once I called and asked him to replace the 1st one he shipped to me with the stand issues. He never returned my call or emails after a few days of the delivery.

Buy something used instead made by a good and well known brand. That's what I will do when we replace it.

If you are going to the ISA show in Orlando I'm sure he and all of his machines will be there. I look forward to meeting him and asking him in front of a few customers about the POJ stand he shipped me. If you are going to the show stop by his booth and review the equipment in person.

Attachments

• LamStand_TooShort.jpg
    LamStand_TooShort.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

TheSellOut

I have a used one that I purchased along with my VP 540i, which was installed the very end of Dec.. It is the first laminator I have ever owned and the first that I have operated in about 5 years. Now, after 2+ months I feel quite confident using it, but it was a bear to figure out and it seems to have it's quirks. I have to keep the "lamination roller" tension bar tight to keep a wrinkle from forming at 45° across the roll, which in turn will sometimes keep the take-up system for the liner from actually taking up. And I also can't tighten the main rollers too much or i will get a wave effect in the material as I am laminating. This causes a little more silvering than I would like, but all in all, I think it is a great starter laminator! Hopefully when I upgrade to a nicer laminator, it will make me realize how but I had it with this laminator

speedmedia

Why don't you look The new the daige? I have a qm4 that works great for a low buck machine. Also search around to see if you can find a used seal or royal or something along those lines

thanks,
Kurt

Buy a used name brand laminator if you can afford it. It might cost you more in the beginning but a good quality used laminator will retain a lot of its value if you ever want to sale it. Plus having something that's reliable, easy to run and won't chew up your prints is priceless.

~Chris

rgaskins

I have a used one that I purchased along with my VP 540i, which was installed the very end of Dec.. It is the first laminator I have ever owned and the first that I have operated in about 5 years. Now, after 2+ months I feel quite confident using it, but it was a bear to figure out and it seems to have it's quirks. I have to keep the "lamination roller" tension bar tight to keep a wrinkle from forming at 45° across the roll, which in turn will sometimes keep the take-up system for the liner from actually taking up. And I also can't tighten the main rollers too much or i will get a wave effect in the material as I am laminating. This causes a little more silvering than I would like, but all in all, I think it is a great starter laminator! Hopefully when I upgrade to a nicer laminator, it will make me realize how but I had it with this laminator

This wasn't one from Signsupplyusa was it? Im having the same problem with one of their house brand laminators...I hate this unit, we have found a good use for it, bobsledding...Has nice wheels and rolls great downhill...:ROFLMAO:

Charlie J

spend the 5k on a royal sovereign. Its considerably more than the one you're looking at, but its a great machine.

Just Me

i have one of these and have yet to have my first problem out of it, has a short learning curve but a fairly simple machine and has been reliable!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just food for thought.

If you have the $2,100 for this one... including the shipping..... why not hang on to it and save up until you can get something 100% reliable ??

Getting these things from ebay and other unknown people who won't have any backup support always scare me.

It's your money and if it's burning a hole in your pocket.... do what you think best by buying something that almost no one else has an interest in.

soundhound

I got the GBC Titan and here is what they don't tell you...

The silicon rollers with the heating units inside are very delicate!

If you scratch one bad enough, it will puff and bulge at high temperature and need to be replaced, meaning like $900.

So my advice is to buy from a reputable dealer who will honor the warrantee, and put the machine through its paces during the warrantee period, and make sure you will be able to get replacement parts when you need them.

John