• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to get into signmaking....

kuntry_kid

Hi,

I did screen printing for a while, but had to do military move and had to sell my equipment. I am now looking at doing vinyl work. Maybe start with little stuff I can do with an Epson R1800 and a 24" vinyl cutter. I figure this business will be easier to pack up and move if the time comes...

kuntry_kid

I have been trying to look at info. I just downloaded a free book from Roland's website.

I will probably buy a more in depth book. I figured the only way to really learn was to talk to the people in the business. I was just going to look as a non-member, but I could not see the pics. I figured I could learn more about what people are talking about by seeing the pics.

Since I do not know much I figured I would start with small stuff as I stated above. I have friends in racing, but from reading that is a customer base to approach with caution or stay away from. I know some people that own businesses that I might be able to do some work for.

Overall, I have joined the site to read and research. I will learn more from people in the business than anywhere else.

GmanDesign

i ran across i good deal on a running setup from a guy local to me. it was my first time ever jumping into doing signs etc. i have background in graphic design so that helped. but so far ive had good luck with it. ive been doin small run stuff for now. im very pleased with my investment.

kuntry_kid

I think the hardest part for me is going to be the graphics. I know some people that do graphic design. I may have to pay them to do some complicated jobs until I get better. My wife is looking at taking some graphic design classes. Being an Air Force member I can't exactly quit my job and do this full time. I want to get something going for when my time is up.

Joe Diaz

I know some people that own businesses that I might be able to do some work for.

That is probably your best bet. You will learn more and much faster working for someone that has been in the business for a while then you will ever learn on a forum. Then, if your military career requires you to relocate, you don't have to worry about moving the business. The only downside of working part time for an established business in your particular situation, is that the company hiring you has to take a pretty big risk hiring someone that could be moved or called up at any minute. It sucks, but I guess that’s the way it goes.

Anyway, I have much respect for anyone in the armed forces, if you have any questions for me I would be happy to help. Just ask away.

kuntry_kid

That is probably your best bet. You will learn more and much faster working for someone that has been in the business for a while then you will ever learn on a forum. Then, if your military career requires you to relocate, you don't have to worry about moving the business. The only downside of working part time for an established business in your particular situation, is that the company hiring you has to take a pretty big risk hiring someone that could be moved or called up at any minute. It sucks, but I guess that’s the way it goes.

Anyway, I have much respect for anyone in the armed forces, if you have any questions for me I would be happy to help. Just ask away.

I guess my post was misleading. I don't know anyone in the sign business. I meant I know people that own businesses that I could do the signs and stickers for.

cOrKinSA

From San Antonio huh?
Welcome from a few miles somewhere from ya!
Let me know if you need any help.

kuntry_kid

From San Antonio huh?
Welcome from a few miles somewhere from ya!
Let me know if you need any help.

Thank you for the offer. Do you have a shop here in town I could come by and check out sometime? If you run a home based business I understand and would not want to invade your home.

Dave Drane

Welcome from down-under Kiddo!!! Refreshing to see a newbie doing everything the correct way. Good luck and I feel sure cOrkinSA can work in with you.

binki

We outsource all of our sign/banner/wrap work. We have a local sign shop that does some good work and we will use Merritt Graphics for our future banner orders. It makes our life easy and we still make a nice profit without the hassle of learning much about the sign business nor purchasing a bunch of equipment.