• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to get into wraps

Sowell51

Last year we purchased a Mutoh Value Jet Printer from Fellers along with the plotter and laminator. I've been involved with vinyl cut graphics for a couple years but now I'm trying to get more into the vehicle wrap industry. I've wrapped a couple smaller scale things but what I'm trying to learn is if I were going to do a trailer, bus, etc.. How would I set up the files in photoshop and have the image sliced into separate smaller images for when I go to rip them. The rip software I have is the Fellers DX Rip Solution. My design software is Photoshop and Illustrator. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Josh

ericmitchell29

Your Rip software should break it apart for you.
Atleast mine does.

Send it to your rip program and work from there.
Would I be wrong in assuming all legit rip software can do this?

Sowell51

The rip software I have does split it up if it's wider than the roll, I've just never had to print something wider than 54". Recently I wrapped a sprint car. I designed it in Photoshop full size (75x32) and at 300 resolution but the file size was so big it would take forever to save and sometimes lock my computer up. I have a new computer ordered but, what's the best way to design for the larger scale projects as far as file size goes. I'm more experienced in photoshop. Any advice as far as design software goes? I really need to attend a class on the production for this stuff. It's too expensive to do it by trial and error. Again thanks already. my e-mail is sowellweb51@yahoo.com if you want to contact me there.

MachServTech

I attended a Prints In Motion seminar that gave an outline of tools, techniques and tips. This was sponsored by dealers and manufacturers....very useful for basic info and I think that seminars like this are a good place to start. They give a lot of info in a short timeframe with a cheap price. You wont be an expert after attending one of these, but you will have a better idea of what to do and how to do it. (these are usually held at the tradeshows ISA, SGIA etc) or at your local dealers.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I design at full size and 100 - 50 ppi depending on the viewing distance and overall size of file.

I like know what size text is in a full size version. A 300ppi file at 1/4 scale has the same # of pixels as a full size file at 75ppi.