• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to get solvent based printer...

Prophet

We have gerber edge 2 printer and it prints really awesome decals and graphics etc.

Problem is the consumables are getting to be too expensive for us (foils).

Is their a solvent based printer out there that prints nice decals and graphics but doesn't cost fortune (less than 15K) ?

Because I hear that solvent based printers are cheaper to run?

bighun

You can get a Mimaki JV33 new for $18k or I've seen JV3's around $6-7k used.
Personally I love UV printers, but spending $60k isn't easy to swallow.

PMG

:Welcome:to:signs101: and for under 15 i would look into the Eco Solvent Mutoh VJ 48" Im very happy with mine!!!!

synikster

Hey PMG, if you had extra money, would you consider buying the 64inch VJ? Curious.. What made you decide the 48 over the 64? Price or usuage wasn't needed?

PMG

Well the reason i got the 48" was the price,I had cash in hand and its paid in full,i got the package deal from SW for under 18 grand,plus i have a friend who has a sign shop and he has a 64" and a 100" so between the 2 of us things work out well!!!

eforer

Most media intended for use at 48" is sold on 54" rolls. I would buy a printer that can accommodate a roll that size. My vote is for a Mimaki JV3. I'm not crazy about the new single head thing on the JV33, its an unproven machine as of yet. The JV3 is really an industry standard. I'm not a big eco-sol fan, but if you have ventilation issues its a more viable options. Don't take safety lightly with solvent machines.

Prophet

Those printers look really nice but they are way too big for what we need.

Those seem like mid to large size printers? (48"- 64")

Is there any good quality smaller printers?

We probably only need 12"- 24" max print width for short run decals and graphics.

TresL

None in that size range.

30" is the starting point.

I would like see a smaller one as well.

But, after being at the Indy show yesterday....
It's all about bigger & bigger...

oc63rag

Those printers look really nice but they are way too big for what we need.

Those seem like mid to large size printers? (48"- 64")

Is there any good quality smaller printers?

We probably only need 12"- 24" max print width for short run decals and graphics.

I completely understand that point but I would strongly suggest looking at larger sizes. Not only will it allow you to grow into new markets but you won't outgrow your equipment as fast. I hate telling customers/prospects "Sorry, we can't do that. Our printer only goes up to X size".