Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to upgrade from 25500 to 560, need advice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jmag215, Oct 16, 2018.

1. jmag215

jmag215 Member

Nov 2, 2011
    utah
    So as the title says I am looking to upgrade, my real question is, is it worth the money? What improvements are on the newer machines? Will I have to upgrade my rip software as well? Any other info I need to know? Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Tags:
  2. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Moving from the L25500 to the 500 Series will be amazing. Printer warm-up time goes from around 10 minutes to 2 minutes, print speed is about 2x faster, better media handling, more scratch resistant ink, the list goes on and on.

You may need to update your RIP to drive the 500 - your re-seller should be able to answer this.

P. Wagner

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    The 25500 is first generation, the 500 is third generation. The difference is remarkable ... in a positive way.

4. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    Like my buddy Phil Knight likes to say - "Just do it"

5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I went from 25500 to 560 myself earlier this year. It's hilarious how much better it is as far as warm up time. Used to be I'd hit print and tell siri to set a 15 minute timer so I could get back out and tape it to the take up reel. Now by the time I get back to my office I might as well turn around and the print is about ready to tape up.
    The things I don't like:
    The distance between pinch rollers and 'outside of the printer', where I would run my material to before each print to avoid head strikes, this distance is slightly longer, so slightly more waste. I haven't had much luck running ij35c through it without feeding this much excess out, but running it out of the machine works every time.
    The take up reel does not allow for adjustment on the right hand side like the old printer, which isn't a deal breaker, but I like my prints to go onto the reel perfectly, so its the worst.
    The take up reel is much much much nicer. Their is no plastic tube to weigh the vinyl down to prevent kinks. Instead its a metal bar on a pivot that puts a great deal of consistent force on the slack vinyl.
    The ink monitoring is less than accurate. Been sitting at 93ml of black for a couple of weeks. The last thing I ran was about 4x10 of 75% black. Still at 93ml.
    There is one damn button on the machine. The rest is an android tablet. This is great, except one day I was feeding material out, and the button on the screen was 'stuck'. Didn't last long, but was definitely a puckering moment.
    All of my colors for repeat customers required retuning. Not a big deal, and was probably partially due to upgrading the rip at the same time.
    The app doesn't do anything except tell you that there is an error- substrate successfully unloaded. 5 minutes after you've finished unloading it.
    You have to choose the right material when you load it and you have to set up new profiles from the printer screen if you can't download one.

Other than those things it is sick. Looks like a ferrari pulled up next to your mommas mid 90's civic when the two machines are in the same room.

6. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    I agree with the others - made the move myself 18 months ago and it is night and day difference even though the 25500 was good for a first gen product.. One other suggestion, we use the supplied teflon covers for the heat unit (supposedly for banners) for everything, as we find that many vinyls feed more smoothly over them. I would also note MUCH longer printhead life even though they appear almost identical to the 25500, and MUCH less ink usage in our experience. We run almost everything at 6 pass except large solids at 8 and canvas at 12. Might even say this was my best equipment purchase I ever made in terms of workflow, speed, reliability, cost.

7. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

I went from a 25500 to a 315, a much cheaper option. I paid $9999 for the unit and got the take up reel as a free option. (took a few months of haggling between Grimco and LexJet but I had the time and one of them caved)

The 315 is shorter, only 54" instead of 60", but 75% of my prints are on 30" rolls anyway. I maybe printed 60" rolls twice in the 6 years I had the 25500. I don't miss the 60" option.

I debated going bigger and faster but I am very happy I went with the 315. It suits me well. I have had it for a year and no issues at all. Can't beat the price. This time I will not wait 6 years to upgrade, as soon as this one starts acting up I will upgrade. Nothing like a new machine, carefree living!

I love the app, I wish it did more, but it's nice to be out of the shop and be able to see the machine is still printing.

8. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    We added a 560 next to our 26500. Guess which one receives the most data. Just loading/unloading media is enough reason to get one, along with all the points made by others.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I actually prefer how the 25500 loaded. It allowed me to keep the roll level and horizontal the whole time. This one I tend to have to lay the roll down, lift one side, and then the other. Very early on I found that everything from loading to laminating worked better if I was a skew nazi, keeping all my materials as true as possible on the roll. I haven't had much problems laminating what comes out of this printer, but it bothers me to no end that I can't adjust the right side of the take up reel.
    Also I've had some issues with it waking up after a couple of days asleep with a calendared film loaded. The material likes to hold the curl of the last few inches before the pinch rollers, and then tries to slip into a crevice on the platen, so I tend to watch it warm up and lift the window if it does. I have an employee who has had 90% of the jams that this machine has ever had all occurred for him during wake up. I finally quit letting him play with my new toy...

10. jmag215

jmag215 Member

Nov 2, 2011
    utah
    Thank you for all the advice!!!! Will I notice any difference in better colors, really nice bright greens and reds are hard to get from my 25500

11. MI Bearcat

MI Bearcat Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Canton, Michigan
    I have the HP 260 latex. Is it basically the same generation as the L25500 and I would see the same improvements? I know the warm-up time is drastically reduced but I did not think the quality of the prints was that much different.

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Everybody says yes, your colors will appear more vibrant. I can't tell for the most part. The guy who installed it said I shouldn't need to double strike any illuminated prints, that I should be able to increase the passes to get enough ink density to have true colors when illuminated, but I haven't had any luck doing one layer of print.

13. eahicks

eahicks Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    YES. When profiled correctly, I get the best reds ever, and I can achieve MANY shades of grey that don't appear greenish or purplish. I won't even print anything that has grey in it on my L260.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mlackerman

mlackerman Premium Subscriber

Jun 17, 2007
    Boise, Idaho
    We went from an L26500 (L260) to the L560 about one year ago. I agree with everything said so far and that it is a worthwhile upgrade. One thing I wanted to add is that the 25500 is at the end of support from HP's perspective. I am not sure exactly what this means but according to this blog post (https://blog.lexjet.com/2018/10/08/hp-announces-end-of-life-for-l25500-products/), HP will no longer be selling print heads and ink cartridges for the 25500 after December 31, 2018. If true then this is something to strongly consider.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  15. particleman

particleman Member

Feb 1, 2008
    IN
    Just about everything from the 25500 -> 560 is a complete fix or improved over the original series. I moved from a 26500 to the 560 and most of my daily issues are addressed. The warm up time just isn't a concern anymore. There are really too many improvements to list. We had a lot of issues with head condensation and overheating print heads, I think that is mostly fixed now (hasn't happened since upgrading). Colors are noticeably better and I have no issues with hitting colors. Take up system is great.

My biggest nag and it has been mentioned in this thread is the amount of material you need to run out to consistently avoid a head strike.

16. Carlos Valencia

Carlos Valencia Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas Tx
    Since, you are also considering a budget, you might consider trading in your L25500- that will save you big bucks, you might also consider trading it in on a refurbished 360 for example. thx

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2018
  17. Carlos Valencia

Carlos Valencia Member

Oct 14, 2018
    Dallas Tx
    Hi, The L25500 is discontinued by Hp. All parts are no longer manufactured since Nov of last year. They will stop making the supplies in december of this year. You can use the same rip usually. We like Flexi rip. The improvements are light years ahead of the L25500 which is the first generation of Hp Latex. You are moving to machines that have better inks, better printheads, better drying system, better waste ink systems, better at working with the rip. We have both new and refurbished. So the price of moving up to newer models is a lot easier. thx Plottermaster