• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to "wrap" a Dirt Track Car

GhostPrinting

I wouldnt consider this a wrap as much as i would vinyl to a flat metal quarter panel but I am looking for suggestions on material. I have used Oracle 3651 in the past for decals. Here is an image of the car. Shoot me your suggestions on material. Again this is a nre car so all surfaces will be flat.

images

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
how removable do you want it to be? How long do you want the graphics to last? Drytac's Polar Transit Air with their matching Interlam overlaminate film will do you well. Stocked in Richmond. The vinyl is a 7 year, polymeric calendared film with a gray removable adhesive on an air-egress liner. The laminate is a 5 year. Polar Transit 54"x150' is only $275 and the laminate $260.00 for a total of $535 for the whole 'kit'.

GhostPrinting

how removable do you want it to be? How long do you want the graphics to last? Drytac's Polar Transit Air with their matching Interlam overlaminate film will do you well. Stocked in Richmond. The vinyl is a 7 year, polymeric calendared film with a gray removable adhesive on an air-egress liner. The laminate is a 5 year. Polar Transit 54"x150' is only $275 and the laminate $260.00 for a total of $535 for the whole 'kit'.
Thank you! I will look into that. Customer had previous "wrap" from another provider but said it was too thick. So just looking at all of my options

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just did my son's sport mod with IJ35 - no laminate. I did several cars the last few years and no laminate.

I can't tell if your pic is a Mod or a Sport Mod.

There is zero sense in laminating unless your driver is track champion material. And then, if they do reverse order for the feature he/she gets a newbie like my son starting on the pole, then they spin out and your guy hits in square in the side and half the decals are crap.

There is no laminate in the world to protect the graphics from a 60 MPH hit, from the Wall or from the in-field tires. (ask me how I know LOL).

Attachments

• IMG_5228.jpeg
    IMG_5228.jpeg
    1,001 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5339.jpeg
    IMG_5339.jpeg
    857.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5376.jpeg
    IMG_5376.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5318.JPG
    IMG_5318.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 46

GhostPrinting

I just did my son's sport mod with IJ35 - no laminate. I did several cars the last few years and no laminate.

There is zero sense in laminating unless your driver is track champion material. And then, if they do reverse order for the feature he/she gets a newbie like my son starting on the pole, then they spin out and your guy hits in square in the side and half the decals are crap.

There is no laminate in the world to protect the graphics from a 60 MPH hit, from the Wall or from the in-field tires. (ask me how I know LOL).
Thank you I was debating laminate or not!! That looks really good! Any tips you want to share on the design process?

GhostPrinting

Did you use just the IJ35, the IJ35C or the IJ3552C. Thanks

Signarama Jockey

Do you need this wrap to last 5 years? I'm guessing that for one reason or another, they are going to want to replace it anyway. I say go with a calendared vinyl (3M IJ35 or something). Spend your money on some fluorescent accents in something like Orafol 7510.

Work those bright elements into the design for the pop. Planned obsolescence - you and the customer know that it is temporary, and that means you can switch things up in a few years and keep things fresh.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Do you need this wrap to last 5 years? I'm guessing that for one reason or another, they are going to want to replace it anyway. I say go with a calendared vinyl (3M IJ35 or something). Spend your money on some fluorescent accents in something like Orafol 7510.

Work those bright elements into the design for the pop. Planned obsolescence - you and the customer know that it is temporary, and that means you can switch things up in a few years and keep things fresh.
Dirt track race car decals are lucky to last one season. More than likely the driver will replace at least the sides each year. The hood, roof and rear can sometimes go a couple years. In 8 years the cars I do have gotten re-lettered each Spring and often one side mid-season. Not the worst gig!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thank you I was debating laminate or not!! That looks really good! Any tips you want to share on the design process?
Thanks! (this car could be better, was my first time doing a full Sport Mod) I don't have too many tips except line everything up with the top of the door panels - that is your "level line". Use bold fonts.

This car is based off of another car that is my son's favorite Late Model driver Taylor Scheffler. Each year the car is the same except he changes the colors.

Have your client send you pictures of his favorite cars. You can see the similarities with the below and the car I did. I added a little gray design which my son was not happy about but tough crap.

Check out https://schoolofracinggraphics.com/ ---- this is the site I get all my number sets and if you click on the number set and scroll down they give examples of cars that use them. They also have instructional videos which I want to buy but I didn't have time this winter. I suggest buying a template from them - that will save you a lot of time.

Spend the extra time in the beginning and make them tell you each sponsor and write down exactly where they go. Guys with a lot of sponsors gets confusing. You will need to get the artwork or make something close. I find most race cars don't need perfectly matching logos, close is typically good enough.

Once you get to the measuring - print out the measuring sheet in the template and make sure it's filled out in full - this step is extremely important.

19070452435_ebeed2fdae_b.jpg