• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lost a font

SlightlyChilled

Ok so I moved to a new PC and loaded all my fonts. Now I have a missing font and can't find it. The font is not in the font folder but work just fine on the old laptop but not on the new .It tells me it's not there I get Bullet*.... Where esle might it be hiding?

SignProPlus-Chip

If it was loading at startup, it needs to be in the font folder. unless you were using font management software than allows you to pull it from another location.

Try a file search for the font in question on the old system.

sinetist

Try looking in the font folder on the old system for the font. If you find it you could copy it to a flash drive and load it from there ontoyour new set-up.

SlightlyChilled

the downloads are for crap software not the font but thanks for tring. I know it is somewhere just not in the right font spot :(

Cyw

Are you using Corel by chance?
If so, open the file on your old system and resave with the font embedded
It will give you a warning....but just say ok

Corel will save the font file along with the graphic file
Open the newly saved file on your new system and you should be good to go.

Diane

Pat Whatley

Do a search for *.ttf , sort the results by location, look for anything that comes up that is not in the font folder.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
..and when you find it, consider getting a font management program that automatically archives fonts for easy backup or migration.

JB

Cyw

I'm still confused
Do you actually need the font because you're making changes to an existing design?
Or do you just need the font because Adobe is defaulting and substituting a font because the font is missing?

Two different issues.

If you only need to open that previously created file on your new system, go back to your old computer, open the file and convert the font to curves.
Save the converted file with a different name so you don't lose that original file ......just in case you find the font one of these days.

Now open that new file that you converted to curves and Adobe won't default and substitute the font on you

You can also place the file in (instead of opening it) Illy.
Flatten and you should have the file/font intact

But, if you actually need that font because you need it to make changes to your original design, then you're probably gonna' have to find it on that old computer.
It's there someplace.
Put on your Columbo jacket and start looking......

If nothing else, you could always post a visual, chances are one of our font gurus will be able to identify it for you and maybe you can then grab a whole new font file, download and install it somewhere where it won't get "lost"

Thumbs up for the Font Management suggestion
I couldn't work without one

Diane

GB2

Old Member
:goodpost:

If you actually previewed every font in your font folder on the old computer, I'm sure you'll find the font with a completely unrelated name. I have this problem often and the font name usually ends up just being a series of numbers or something.

Cyw

Gary, your absolutely right.
We have plenty of fonts that only use alphanumerical 'names'........yet another reason a FM program can help.

Diane

SlightlyChilled

I opened it on the old pc made it a outline then saved it. I would just like the font. not a real big thing just asking a question if someone might know other places to look. thanks for all the help

sinetist

If you can use the font on your old PC then the font must still be there. When you have the file using the font on your old PC open you should be able to select it and Illustrator will show the font name then you can do a search to find and transfer it to the new computer.