• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lost a job to a competitor story :)

reQ

Roughly a month ago i was bidding on smaller job for some LED channel letters. Customer asked to give him the price for it + some 13" tall aluminum letters on stand offs to go under LED ones. Gave him price, week later i find out that "you are way to expensive, another shop will do it for cheaper". Hmm... i was like, oh well, can't win them all eh?

Keep in mind i was quoting on 24" tall LED letters Helvetica Bold style (so they are pretty thick).

Yesterday i was going to another customer for an install & was driving by that place. Another shop was installing letters there. I was like "Something does not look right, will check it out later" Sure thing, they installed 1/4 inch acrylic letters on stand offs, not LED ones & they used super thin font. Also bottom letters where not 13" but roughly 6-8 inch tall.

All i am wondering about right now, does that guy know yet that his brand new letters will not light up? :D

P.S. Another case when 2 shops are quoting on different stuff & all customer sees is the price.

heyskull

I get this all the time.
I agree the customer only sees price!!!!
Only way to try and curb this, is to give them a cheaper option (such as non illuminted and smaller) and let them compare.
9/10 times they will choose the expensive option.

Maybe give the customer a polite message to ask why you were not asked to quote for the massivley cheaper option?

But what really boils my p**s, is when the job never happens.
This just feels that the customer (if you can call them that) is just waisting my time.

SC

ams

I am about to go through that myself. I am quoting a large project that includes about 28 aluminum signs, 3 window graphics, 3' X 50' LED channel letters, a couple of non-illumminated push thru cabinets with solar flood lights, etc.
However they are getting another quote and my signs are custom designed shapes and stuff, while the other shop is doing their own thing.

I am curious to know if the other shop might win due to them getting totally different items.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good example of NOT educating the potential customer. If all they see is a lower price and don't know what they're getting, then you walked away without letting them know the value and quality of you and your work. Once it's done, it's too late to tell them. In fact, with a 3 tier pricing qiote, this might've been avoided, too.

It happens, like gounsaid, ya can't get them all, but there are things you can do to prevent it sometimes.

Better luck, next time around. :rock-n-roll:

Marlene

Good example of NOT educating the potential customer. If all they see is a lower price and don't know what they're getting, then you walked away without letting them know the value and quality of you and your work. Once it's done, it's too late to tell them. In fact, with a 3 tier pricing qiote, this might've been avoided, too.

It happens, like gounsaid, ya can't get them all, but there are things you can do to prevent it sometimes.

Better luck, next time around. :rock-n-roll:

other thing that might have happened is they didn't know you could make the non-lite letters. as stupid as that sounds, we have run into that. you can have on your site all the things you do but peopel aren't paying attention. it could be as simple as that.

Starter

We have 6 sign shops in a 1 mile radius. We always try to give the customers options when providing renderings/proofs. Kind of a bronze, silver gold package with the features and benefits of each. We started taking this approach after loosing jobs to competitors that are supplying inferior/cheaper solutions.

CanuckSigns

I am about to go through that myself. I am quoting a large project that includes about 28 aluminum signs, 3 window graphics, 3' X 50' LED channel letters, a couple of non-illumminated push thru cabinets with solar flood lights, etc.
However they are getting another quote and my signs are custom designed shapes and stuff, while the other shop is doing their own thing.

I am curious to know if the other shop might win due to them getting totally different items.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves, when the client has some vague idea of what they want and decide to get multiple quotes, so the client ends up getting quotes on a whole bunch of different signs, with nothing in common, and picks the cheapest.

I have a friend who opened a bar downtown a few years ago, she needed a sign but since the sign was being paid for by some rejuvenation grant, she had to get 3 quotes and could only go with the cheapest. so she sent me the specs, it called for a black dibond backer with 11 12" cast aluminum letters and a 36" diameter cast aluminum logo, I quoted it and she asked me if I made a mistake, I was 3 times the cost of the other shop, I double checked and said no.

She sent me the quote from the other shop, he was quoting below my cost for cast aluminum letters, heck he was below the cost of flat cut aluminum as well. I told her as much as I wanted to I couldn't help her on this one. I stopped in after it opened, the sign was a sheet of black dibond with chrome vinyl applied, no aluminum letters of any kind... I still havn't found the heart to tell her she got ripped off.

reQ

I was asked to quote LED channel letters, that doctor wanted them to light up at night & wanted regular aluminum/acrylic letters under main LED sign. Thats what i did quote on. I do not give multiple quotes from cheap to more expensive options unless i am asked to. But i always put on quote tech specs of product i am quoting, including warranties etc, just to make sure customer understands what the heck he/she is getting.

Gene@mpls

Another scenario is the other shop quoted the same price for the same sign and the customer decided they could not (or would not) pay that much- at that point the other shop quoted a cheaper option and they went with it?

a77

Sometimes it just does not pay to be the first one to quote. If you're the first quote, you're the first to break their heart. They look at your quote, judge it to be high based on their own presumptions of what a sign should cost, tell you that you're unreasonably high, then shop around. Once they find out that your quote is comparable to the competition, they don't come back to you because hey... they can't lose lose face and admit they were wrong!

Bigdawg

Just Me
Sometimes it just does not pay to be the first one to quote. If you're the first quote, you're the first to break their heart. They look at your quote, judge it to be high based on their own presumptions of what a sign should cost, tell you that you're unreasonably high, then shop around. Once they find out that your quote is comparable to the competition, they don't come back to you because hey... they can't lose lose face and admit they were wrong!

Absolutely agree with this analysis.

signlords

We recently bid a job for a startup barber shop. Gave them a 3 tier quote consisting of channel letters, a LED box sign, and a plain flat max metal sign! So everything from <$500 to $2500. Never heard back from them, drove by a few weeks later and they have a banner that they must have cash n carried then hung themselves (not tight, sagging, etc) and some crappy window graphics. I am not too upset because clearly their budget only allowed for a temporary sign but had they asked we could have done that as well and at least hung it properly.

visual800

hello sir ,
how are you doing ?
i heard that trump won the vote to be new american president, hope there is no effect on you and your business.
this is oscar from cosun sign, which is the biggest sign manufacturer in shenzhen.
from your website , i know that your company is sign manufacturer too, your company fabricates most products in-house, whether there are some outsource projects? Maybe cosun sign will be your best choose.
there are our advantages as belows:
1. More than 300 staff and 15000 sqm factory, from design to delivery, we solve all the problem.
2. Having ul certified for north america market.
3. Customized led sign with reasonable price to match your company.
4. We are familiar with north america market, our annual sales is 5 million usd in north america market.
if you have any inquires, pls don't hesitate to tell me , i will spare no effort in helping you .
best regards

oscar
10165068287.jpg
10165080164.jpg

tel:0086-755-28351036 mobile:0086-13028815351
email: oscar@signs-make.com
web: www.signs-make.comwww.szcosun.en.alibaba.com
add: No.7.fuping middle road, longgang district, shenzhen(518117), china

will someone kick this crap off of here

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Right? Spamming every single thread they can.

Hopefully this won't be the new norm around here.......with all these new members slipping through the cracks.

I get enough spam to my email and Facebook feed.

You're not saying we're having a problem with......... open borders...... are you?

wayne k
guam usa

WrapYourCar

you learn to pick a tightass... and just push them to their pricepoint, or just let them go elsewhere, the most frustrating is when a tightass client wants their cheap price you deliver it to them, and they say "oh but i wanted it thicker and better quality than this, i don't mind if i had to pay more.(yeah right)" some people are just really annoying to deal with, I cut my losses and just walk away hehe.

ILIOSIGN

Don't completely agree, here.

Most times, the client don't know the budget needed for making and installing a sign. Then they need to understand all the differences in sign quality and price. A 3-tier pricing would definitely help, but once they compare to a cheaper competitor, they may think that they use the same basis for comparison. And you can educate a client, but you can't show him all the variations in sign manufacturing / raw materials quality / after-sales service... without spending a few days that would have been of a much better use somewhere else.

I specialize in some kind of product. Sometimes I get someone who wants only the best quality quoted, but then orders the cheap one. They want a Ferarri but they buy a Kia. Sometimes they claim they will order 100 signs, then they order 10 !

boxerbay

when we get tire kickers i quote what they want and i explain in detail what they are getting. i also explain that there are more economical options if they feel it is too much and most importantly i tell them if your shopping be sure to ask the right questions about what materials they are using especially when we quote car wraps.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't completely agree, here.

Most times, the client don't know the budget needed for making and installing a sign. Then they need to understand all the differences in sign quality and price. A 3-tier pricing would definitely help, but once they compare to a cheaper competitor, they may think that they use the same basis for comparison. And you can educate a client, but you can't show him all the variations in sign manufacturing / raw materials quality / after-sales service... without spending a few days that would have been of a much better use somewhere else.

I specialize in some kind of product. Sometimes I get someone who wants only the best quality quoted, but then orders the cheap one. They want a Ferarri but they buy a Kia. Sometimes they claim they will order 100 signs, then they order 10 !

No need to agree if you have reason not to. However, in your own explanation, you really didn't say anything, let alone helpful towards anything. Very seldom does a client NOT know their own budget, from a small $500 sign to a $175,000 order. It looks as if you work around LED signs and such. So, if that's your specialty product, there's not a whole lot of explaining to do to a client. Explain the various sizes, power supply and viewing distance for size and lumens and you just about have it. How can you sell 100 of these to a client, as you said you might ??

ILIOSIGN

No need to agree if you have reason not to. However, in your own explanation, you really didn't say anything, let alone helpful towards anything. Very seldom does a client NOT know their own budget, from a small $500 sign to a $175,000 order. It looks as if you work around LED signs and such. So, if that's your specialty product, there's not a whole lot of explaining to do to a client. Explain the various sizes, power supply and viewing distance for size and lumens and you just about have it. How can you sell 100 of these to a client, as you said you might ??

My point is that your job is not to educate a client but to advise him. That's a big difference, sometimes it intertwines, but that's a nuance that really needs to be made. Educate your client and you'll lose your job. I was reading "Business development for dummies" lately, and it stroke me : to paraphrase the author, the reason you are doing business is because of asymetry of information/knowledge/resources. You have something the client does not.

About my experience, you'll notice that the client who does not know the price of a sign is not the same that the headquarter that forecasts to buy 100. But it's true, on my part there is not a lot of explaining since I sell the signs mostly to professionals signmakers. The headquaters of brands check the prices in China to test the market, they compare to similar signs in their local market. And the individual who lose himself on my website to buy a sign, but does not know much about a bugdet ends up purchasing the cheapest and lowest quality, since let's be honest, price is his only reason why he consults a Chinese company.

Fares Bayazeed

Keep in mind if you do not close them in one sitting the chances of doing business with you diminish by approximately 80%. A good presentation with visuals and actual samples (preferably used ones) is always good. Having samples of substandard materials used by competitors is also good (but do not mention the competitor by name). Have pictures in a binder of jobs you have done (or have them on a tablet). Have a list of survey questions to ask them. And ask questions like "could you see where this would be beneficial to you"? Get their head nodding up and down several times during your presentation and prompt them by nodding your head up and down while you are asking the questions. The most common mistake is that the salesman fails to ask for "their business today". In the end, you are going to give them a price. If the price is high your customer will let you know. Always leave yourself some room to drop and do not just drop the price. If you do the customer will wonder why you did not just give him this price to begin with. Have it set up where you have to call someone else with your company to get approval to drop the price while going over the specs of the job, materials, etc. "So what you are saying ________ if I can reach this price we could earn your business today?" Get on the phone and get approval to drop the price but make sure you have the commitment first. Oh, and up front make sure all the decision makers are there for your presentation. If they are not there set a time to come back.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My point is that your job is not to educate a client but to advise him. That's a big difference, sometimes it intertwines, but that's a nuance that really needs to be made. Educate your client and you'll lose your job. I was reading "Business development for dummies" lately, and it stroke me : to paraphrase the author, the reason you are doing business is because of asymetry of information/knowledge/resources. You have something the client does not.

About my experience, you'll notice that the client who does not know the price of a sign is not the same that the headquarter that forecasts to buy 100. But it's true, on my part there is not a lot of explaining since I sell the signs mostly to professionals signmakers. The headquaters of brands check the prices in China to test the market, they compare to similar signs in their local market. And the individual who lose himself on my website to buy a sign, but does not know much about a bugdet ends up purchasing the cheapest and lowest quality, since let's be honest, price is his only reason why he consults a Chinese company.

Sorry, you lost me even further. Either there is a language barrier or your book for dummies isn't up to date.

When I say educate, I don't mean a book for dummies like you've been reading..... I actually wanna educate our customers, so they can make intelligent decisions for their needs/wants. Educate your client and lose the job..... ?? That's dumb thinking. Either you are not wording things properly or your mouth is moving faster than your brain. We'll just let it go, that it must be really different over there if that's the kinda thinking you use. If people get lost on your website, ya better do something about it, unless you do it on purpose to trap people. Your examples are horrid, if I'm reading them at all correctly.