• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lost Job but I have a Roland Versacamm VP540

signmeup

I inherited a hammer from my grandfather when he died. What else will I need in
order to start building houses for a living? I have made some bird houses, so it
can't be much harder than that...
Where I live your gonna need a tape measure, some string, a pencil and a circular saw. A level would be nice but not essencial.

Seriously.

Locals Find!

Why is everyone bashing the OP?? I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of a newbie entering the market. Unless he is in your territory how does it affect you.

So what that he inherited it. Good for him. He won't have to make any payments.

Good Luck in whatever decision you make.

Farmboy

Adtech...it's not fear. It's the balls it takes for someone to walk into a room full of people that have put years into learning and making this their living and just asking for a handout without even taking the time to do any research on their own. And yes...I know the OP can't see this from their side...but if you've spent any amount of time here you know some of these folks hate this kinda stuff. Damaged45, do some research...you're not going to learn anything by asking how it's done. Do it and learn!

astro8

If you're not committed to eating, breathing and sleeping the sign business 24/7 for at least the next 12 months, forget it... you'll be worse of than you are now. You have to make that commitment.

These threads remind me of those documentaries where out of every 100 turtle hatchlings, only 1 makes it to the sea.

If you're hell bent on doing this for a living, you wouldn't have posted here with a question like that. You would be too busy reading, and studying all the information that this site and others have to offer....I know I would.

I'm not trying to sound like an arsehole, just stating facts as I see it.

Good luck, hope you make it.

Locals Find!

Well, the OP did sound sincere. I know that if I had some piece of equipment thrown in my lap like that. I would probably looking for some guidance from some people who have been doing it awhile.

Isn't that the point of these boards to share information not put others down?

I could understand if this guy bought all the stuff on ebay or craigslist then asked the question. By his own statement this was a Gift to him.

Yes, he does need to do research however, if you don't know what is garbage and what is gold all the research in the world won't help you.

Give the guy a break. A little guidance to point him in the right direction wouldn't hurt him or anyone else. I think that is all he was looking for. A nudge in the right direction not someone to hold his hand IMO

ddarlak

Go Bills!
adtechia -

this is the best thing for him, the 1 out of a hundred turtle thing was spot on, but it probably is more like 1 out of 10,000.

here's a guy with no experience, none, and he walks in and says: "hey, i want to make banners"

come on really, a swift kick in the nuts will determine if he's serious or fishing....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And you all condemned me for welcoming these people without any of the rubbish you're all dishing out to this guy.

I just don't get it ?? :banghead:

WildWestDesigns

Yes, he does need to do research however, if you don't know what is garbage and what is gold all the research in the world won't help you.

Very true. There is a mechanic that has put out a lot of YouTube videos on the 6.0 PSD engine. 80% of what is in there is crap. Outdated info that is based on old knowledge about the engine.

He does put on a good confident presentation to where you would think that he knows what he is talking about and I'm sure he believe what he says too.

So it really does help to have someone point the way and to know what to avoid etc.

WildWestDesigns

here's a guy with no experience, none, and he walks in and says: "hey, i want to make banners"

We all have to start somewhere.

I'm sure that there was a time that you had no experience but just the desire to learn the craft. Unless you just squirted on out while making a banner.

I don't get this level of what seems to be hatred. I started out with a little hobby press and an inkjet printer, which a lot of people I'm sure would have crucified me, now I'm doing all kinds of things. I even still do what the same people would call crappy iron ons. I had the desire to learn and I had to start somewhere.

He may or may not make it, but that doesn't mean that you, I, we can't point in the right direction. Give him the basics of what this all really entails and let him know that if he still wishes to go on with it, here are some places to get really good information for him to use. You don't really have to give your "tricks of the trade" right off the bat.

It just the magnitude of what looks like hatred just blows my mind. Not really good for first impressions either if you have lurkers wanting to use someone's services and see that. Doesn't matter if you have talent to back up that bluster, most people make snap decisions(for better or for worse) based on impressions and that isn't a good one.

I'm glad that I have a few yrs experience with this under my belt before I came here based on some of the posts that I've seen. It would really have deterred me from this, now maybe that's what some of y'all would want. People will either make or not, don't have to bluster about to expediate it.

GoodPeopleFlags

Jeez. There's more to it than equipment. More than design skills. You need experience in the biz. What will you tell a customer who comes in and wants a "sign for their business"? What do you think they mean by that? What is the first question you ask them? What type of material should you use? How will you install it? You have to know the types of materials out there, the appropriate uses for each one, and the strange names customers will come up with for those same materials. Then you have to figure out how to price it.

Please, do yourself a favor and go get a job in a sign shop. Maybe even one that could make use of your printer.

I'm not threatened by people with no knowledge jumping in. I'm offended that people think they can jump into this biz with no knowledge and do the same thing I can do with 20 years experience behind me. You just can't.

GoodPeopleFlags

[

I'm sure that there was a time that you had no experience but just the desire to learn the craft. [/QUOTE]

Yep. I got a job in a sign shop.

signmeup

There are lots of shops around me that don't own a printer. (I'm one of them) If someone gave me a printer I would drop into those shops and offer my services wholesale. You don't have to know anything about design to print other people's banners etc. Easy way to get some income coming in from the thing, and learn a bit too.

WildWestDesigns

Yep. I got a job in a sign shop.

That's a fine way to learn too. That's how I got started learning with dealing with horses and managing a barn.

I imagined that you had no experience walked in the shop and said "I want to learn how to make signs"(probably flowered it up a little to sell yourself a little more).

How we learn is dependant on the person, the point is that we do learn.