• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lower End Laminator - 5k and under

equippaint

Any opinions on the latest Chinese offerings, Master, Ving or Oomalanga? I would assume that some of these are knock offs? I attached a few pictures. Other option is Royal Sovereign RSC-1402HW but Id rather spend less since this wont get used all that much.
We print in a separate building than our laminator is in so this is more for convenience and pretty much just used for partial rolls on an occasional basis. Definitely want a take up on it.
s-l1600.jpg s-l16002.jpg s-l16004.jpg untitled.png

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Back years ago I had s tried a Master cutter. It was VERY basic but got the job done with the small budget I had on it. Only issue I had was with drivers and the guy that helped me barely spoke English. Most of the controls were written in poorly translated Chinese. Other then those small inconveniences, Master cutter did what was supposed to do, just not as nice as better brands.. So no complaints here/

equippaint

Any opinions on pneumatic vs manual control? Some of these are air, Id have to run an airline over the the office but not a big deal if theres an advantage to it?
Also, does the RS have pressure adjusment on the upper roller? Crowned or flat?

2B

start looking for a used unit.
you can usually get a "better" machine/brand and this will keep the cost lower

equippaint

start looking for a used unit.
you can usually get a "better" machine/brand and this will keep the cost lower
I was thinking about that. The problem is shipping, most people dont want to deal with it and potentially flat spotted or cut up rollers.
Any recommendations to look into?

2B

I was thinking about that. The problem is shipping, most people dont want to deal with it and potentially flat spotted or cut up rollers.
Any recommendations to look into?

DigitSmith
GlobalGarage
Ebay
CraigsList
Facebook
Signs101

you can always find something for sale, and usually within driving distance for inspection.

Boss Cat

Just bought the FMJ1700 hot & cold off ebay. I looked at the pneumatic one but figured it would be more parts to go bad and thought I would probably have problems with "customer support" if it broke for whatever reason lol. I was very surprised at the quality of the machine. 1/4" steel construction on the laminator itself. Rollers are very smooth and consistent. Nice features for the price. Paid a tick over $3,000 with shipping but I'm pretty pleased with the machine. Owners manual sucked but figuring out the assembly and operation was pretty easy.

Having trouble with the tracking on roll to roll. I can only go about 15' before it starts to drift to the left. I've never owned one before and have no experience with them at other shops so I'm chalking it up to inexperience. Hoping someone on here could give some suggestions to fix the problem or let me know what I may be doing wrong.

This thing was INCREDIBLY HEAVY. Over 500lbs. with the crate, and the crate mighta weighed 50lbs. We had to use a engine hoist to get it up on the stand. So if that's not available you'll probably need about 5 guys, 4 to lift and one to guide the stand. Glad I made the investment till I can afford a name brand or, if I like this, I can buy four if these new for the cost of one major brand.

equippaint

http://www.masterlaminator.com/us/

they're out of miami - close to you. WE have one.. best bang for your buck. I actually know a few guys on here who have this unit. SOlid for the price.
Thanks. Which model do you have or would you recommend?
At one of the sign shows we stopped by their booth. IIRC, he said that he goes over to China for quality control and he did the engineering on them rather than it being a rebranded Chinese machine.

bannertime

Thanks. Which model do you have or would you recommend?
At one of the sign shows we stopped by their booth. IIRC, he said that he goes over to China for quality control and he did the engineering on them rather than it being a rebranded Chinese machine.

VT-9800H is good. Just be aware that if you need to do any service, you'll need to do it yourself.

BALLPARK

We purchased the US Tech Pro 65C. Great value for sure...

I would buy them again without a thought, if it was the same machine. I looked a while back for a heat version that use to have and noticed they may no longer have it or they have re-branded.... idk.

But this is the laminator we have and it's easily worth more than 5k. I got mine for about $3000 - $3500 many years ago. Still a workhorse today for us and if I add more I will be looking for this same model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PRO-65...nator-car-wrap-decal-heavy-duty-/182067167813

I've worked with Seal top of the line and some of the Royal laminators... don't see why they are better or charge so much more for their brand.

equippaint

Probably a dumb question and probably missing something here but is there no media holder on the front of the 9800? How does that work? If it goes on that bar, wont it walk? The 65c has them.