• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lowest resolution for a banner

fresh

I know the answer to my question already, I just want to make sure I'm not being insane.

New client calls to request a 4x10 banner.
He provides artwork that either scales to (approx) 5x10 at 36dpi, or 4x8 at 46 dpi.

I sub out my printing, so I can't even test it out to see how terrible it will look. Do you ever print at 40 dpi? I'm tired of trying to convince people that their artwork isn't acceptable.

genericname

Hell, we've printed at 25dpi before. It all depends on what the application is. If you're doing mesh material, or your banner's not going to be seen from anywhere closer than 50ft away, you can get away with just about anything.

That being said, we try to keep clients in line with a 75dpi absolute minimum. You don't want them getting comfortable with just Googling their own logo.

Matt-Tastic

I know the answer to my question already, I just want to make sure I'm not being insane.

New client calls to request a 4x10 banner.
He provides artwork that either scales to (approx) 5x10 at 36dpi, or 4x8 at 46 dpi.

I sub out my printing, so I can't even test it out to see how terrible it will look. Do you ever print at 40 dpi? I'm tired of trying to convince people that their artwork isn't acceptable.

Scale is to size in photoshop or similar program, crop out an 8.5x11 section and print it on your desktop printer. It won't be color accurate, but you'll be able to show him the pixelation and image quality at that size.

Or, if they have the time, ask your outsource provider to print a piece of the banner for you to show as a sample. roll any charge from them to your customer. It is a pain, but its better than selling lower quality work.

fresh

Scale is to size in photoshop or similar program, crop out an 8.5x11 section and print it on your desktop printer. It won't be color accurate, but you'll be able to show him the pixelation and image quality at that size.

Or, if they have the time, ask your outsource provider to print a piece of the banner for you to show as a sample. roll any charge from them to your customer. It is a pain, but its better than selling lower quality work.

Good thought, thank you. I'm kinda in the mood to sell some low quality work though. :design:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many of the billboards when getting into this was done at like 17 dpi and looked great from a little distance..... like a 1/4 mile...... :rolleyes: