• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lumitape?

ckoziol

I had someone ask me the other day if I ever heard of Lumitape. I hadn't so I asked him exactly what it was, because maybe it was spelled or pronounced different. He said it is applied to signage and glows at night, so you don't need electrical lighting. ??? I've seen vinyl that changes coloring at night to stand out, but I believe you still need it to be on a backlit panel (I think). He is a doctor and wants to put a sign on the side of his building but does not want to install a lightbox or channels or anything like that. If this product exists, it's news to me. Can anyone enlighten me on the subject? I'm not a big signshop, nor do I deal with anything electrical, etc. I'm primarily vinyl signs, banners, coro, and other design, so whatever help someone can give I'd appreciate it.

MikePro

LOL. I once had a guy that wanted me to build him channel letters, with no electrical/leds, and make it "water tight". Upon asking him why, he said he was going to fill the channel letters with "glow in the dark" paint, so that he could save money on the electrical and not have to get a permit for electrical signage.
that being said:
He's going to be sorely disappointed in the amount of glow it puts out. chances are there's a streetlight in the vicinity that will produce light pollution that negates any glow the vinyl produces.

ever put "glow in the dark stars" on your ceiling? they look GREAT when you've drawn the blinds and turned off the lights.... but turn on your computer/tv in the room and they're just faded plastic.

offer the doctor some indirect lighting options.