• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LX850 Guidance

miker

So the LX850 is installed and we've finished our training with HP. Mixed bag of success so far. We've gotten Oracal 3651 and some paper products to run well, but we've been having issues with pretty much everything else.

Any helpful hints and suggestions for machine settings (heat/tension) etc would be appreciated!

miker

tomence - Purchased directly from HP.

cdiesel - Had trouble with 15oz blockout banner yesterday as well as 13oz scrim from Ultraflex. Using Onyx x10 for the rip so we are good there. Just having some troubles with the media settings on the machine. It seems like the 15oz would start out fine and then after a few feet the media advance or material stretching would get all screwy.

Are you getting the media presets for the machine from HP or are you making them from scratch?

cdiesel

We've been using mostly canned media profiles. Also running x10.

On ours (it's an lx800) it takes about 2' for the media advance sensor to kick in. Every once-in-awhile you can see very slight feed calibration banding for a couple feet, then the machine corrects it. We run 13oz Superprint Plus all day with no problems. I don't care for the Jetflex though.

Helder Pimenta

First post, English not the first language please be patient…

My experience with an LX600, is this:

:: Feeding ::
Some medias simply don't work, they have feeding problems, this problem gets worse the smaller width they are.
Ex: Oracal 3164 (42" Not good) (63" Ok) with the same settings, i can't print the smaller width regardless what setting I use.

This problem can't be solved with the advance calibration! when you see a misregistration on the same head color (ex. pure Magenta, pure K), its a feeding problem.

I found these 3M medias good to print regardless of their width, and very compatible with each other settings wise.
IJ20
IJ40
IJ1229
IJ170
IJ380

I'm not a 3M sales man or affiliate with them, its just one brand of media I found to be good to print.
CDIESEL, mentioned "Every once-in-awhile", this is unacceptable to me, when a media is not stable the "once in a while" is a serious problem, when you do small prints ( more grain/lost detail), and in bigger prints you might notice color banding. The problem is the same i'm using the size to differentiate viewing distances

:: Dynamic Color Registration ::
On the LX600 I only have 2 points, A & B.
The problem is they both influence each other, so with the "one shot" calibration process of the printer it simply doesn't work.
What I did was create a similar registration file, and after getting all the other settings sorted out printed the file multiple times until the registration was OK, you can't achieve a perfect registration, it "floats" during the print length, but I found good and stable settings can be achieved.

I hope this helps you get started.

OUT OF TOPIC
No one has problems with the fragility of the inks when scratched? Here, we laminate most of our prints.

cdiesel

For scrim we use Superprint Plus. It's like .03 a sf more and prints WAY better.

I agree with the unacceptable banding in the beginning of prints. This only happens when you load a new roll, and only for about two feet, and only sometimes. Just cancel & reprint and it's all good.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We just got ours installed this past week....had positive results on mesh and Jetflex matte. Pitmann matte banner had an issue with the magenta ink for some reason....but printed on Ultraflex and was perfect. Not sure about whats going on there....15oz backlit ran thru nicely in 6pass bidi.

Have yet to run any PSA of any sort thru there. Anyone tried running a 6in core of vinyl psa with adaptor thru their 8XX yet??? Curious about results with something like that...will likely test ourselves next week.

NOticed that the canned profiles are running really heavy on the ink loads thru Caldera....nothing really linearized or max ink levels below 400%.