• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LXI Fonts

signage

Can the fonts that come with LXI Master Plus be loaded to work with other windows programs? If so were are they located? I ran Bitstream Navigator but it did not locate the font on my system, any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Brian

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Can the fonts that come with LXI Master Plus be loaded to work with other windows programs? If so were are they located? I ran Bitstream Navigator but it did not locate the font on my system, any advice would be appreciated.

What version LXi?

If memory serves, Flexi/LXi versions prior to 7.something had all of the fonts issued with the package in one large file in proprietary format. Something with a .CSM, or something like that, suffix. While the software could access fonts installed in the orthodox Windows manner, the collection of fonts that came with the package was only accessible via that package. With the advent of version 7.x they abandoned this dubious technique and any included fonts were ttf or open type just like the rest of the world. It seemed to be an extension of the general paranoia of Scanvec Amiable that someone somewhere might use their goodies with paying them tribute.

No doubt you could whomp up some code, read the file, and reconstruct a series of ttf or open type files from the contents. To my knowledge, no one ever did this, not because it isn't doable, but no one cared enough to spend the necessary time. Perhaps because the fonts issued with the software were rather boring.

signage

screen shot

I have version 7.5 and this is a font that I am trying to find to use with my other software. I have run a couple of searches with Bitstream nav. and it doesn't find it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 179

bob

I have version 7.5 and this is a font that I am trying to find to use with my other software. I have run a couple of searches with Bitstream nav. and it doesn't find it. Any ideas?

I'm running Flexi 7.6 so we should be in the same series and that particular file is listed as "Bengal MD Condensed Italic" in the Windows\Fonts directory but the actual file name is "bengel mdcondensed italic.ttf". If the name of a font and the name of the file that contains it are the same, it's only coincidental.

In this case 'bengel' is Scanvec's name for their version, perhaps of dubious provenance, of 'benguiat'.

Try doing Start->Settings->Control Panel and double click on 'Fonts'. You should find this item in the list of installed fonts. It shows up in my Corel X3 as 'Bengel MD' with a pullout for 'Normal' or 'Italic'. It shows up in Flexi much as it does in your illustration.

signage

Bob should this font be showing up as Bengel or Benguiat? It is not showing up as Bengel in my font folder!

bob

The only way it could not show up in the font list for any application would be that it's packing a different name, perhaps something like 'MD Bengal' or you're still using the old-style .csm font file.

Does the font file exist in your Windows font directory? If it does, then it damn well should appear in any font list in any application. If it's not there then make sure that Start->Control Panel->Fonts->Tools->Folder Options->True Type Fonts has the "Show only True Type fonts..." box unselected. Since this is a True type font, I think, it shouldn't make any difference, but you should have this box unchecked anyway.

Did you upgrade your LXi from a version more primitive than 7.x? if so, nose around in your c:\programs\LXi [or whatever they call it]... and see if there isn't a suspicious looking file with a .csm [or something similar] extension.

How did you install the fonts that came with your LXi? Did you use their installer of did you install them yourself using the Windows facility? If you haven't done so. you might try installing them under the Windows mechanism. Don't worry that LXi will get confused if the same font appears twice, it can deal with it.

signage

Bob they don't show up in my windows folder. I do not remember how I loaded them, but I will try to reload them. I am using bitstream Navigator so if I reload them I will load them in my fonts folder under LXI. I will try this and let you know.

Thanks for the help!

bob

Bob they don't show up in my windows folder. I do not remember how I loaded them, but I will try to reload them. I am using bitstream Navigator so if I reload them I will load them in my fonts folder under LXI. I will try this and let you know.

Thanks for the help!

Load them at the most primitive level:

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Fonts->File->Install New Font...

Do this and then you will know that they're installed. With any other method you can only infer that they are correctly installed. The truth is the Windows font directory. All else is meaningless in this context.

Bitstream's, or anyone else's, font folder scheme means absolutely nothing to Windows. The only fonts that Windows recognizes are the ones in it's fonts directory. One level, no sub directories.

signage

I realize that Bob but bitstream only loads the fonts that you choose to have loaded in the windows font folder. It helps keep the number of fonts loaded on your system to a minimum for better performance.