Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LXI measurement calibration

Discussion in 'General Software' started by wannabe, Jun 18, 2007.

1. wannabe

wannabe Member

Apr 23, 2007
    I'm searching for the method to calibrate what I type into LXI in inches to actually cut that size. For instance, I cut a line of text and set the size at 60". However, the ACTUAL finished size was about 10" longer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tags:
  2. javila

javila Active Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Make sure you're cut scale settings are set at 100% in the cut window.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  3. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    If you're off this much, you have something else going on. A 60" cut might be +-a fraction but not 10".

The way it works is...

The software, in your case LXi, knows how long, physically, a plotter increment is. Say it's .01mm, just as an example. The software wants to move, say, 60" in the X direction. The software calculates the number of plotter increments in 60", a very simple ratio calculation, and sends something like 'PR23622,0;' to the plotter. There being 23,622 plotter increments in 60".

How far the plotter actually moves depends on how accurate an precise the plotter's hardware. An error of 1 part in 6, as you've reported, is inconceivable. Even stone-age machine used by Thrag of the hill people would exhibit better accuracy than that.

Thus you have something else happening.

4. gvgraphics

gvgraphics Very Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Exactly my thoughts. In the left hand side of your cut window make sure the actual size is set to 100%. You can also scroll in your cut window to see how big it is before you cut, thus saving you waisting material.