• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mac-PC Dilemma

qmr55

Ok so our setup is as follows...

Print room has a mac for production w/Caldera v10 running a Roland XC-540 and an HP 360. We print on both and use the Roland as our cutting machine...no problems there.

We have a Graphtec FC-8000-75 to cut regular vinyl 30" and under. Currently this is in my office connected via usb to my computer and I cut using CM out of Flexi.

I would like to move the graphtec to the print room. My options are as follow....

1. Put Illustrator on the Mac in the production room, cut out of that
2. Export all cut vinyl jobs as EPS files and cut through Caldera

Both options are more tedious then just cutting from Flexi as that is where I lay out most simple one color cut jobs.

My question:

Is there any way to hook the Graphtec via USB to the mac in the production room and still cut from my computer in my office via Flexi & CM?

Thanks!

graphicwarning

Is the Graphtec able to be setup as a standard printer on the Mac, which you could share with the network... and simply "Print" to it? I know the Graphtecs and Rolands have a printer driver you can use to cut from various softwares. I have never tried it on a Mac, but I have done it with Windows some years ago...

WildWestDesigns

I know the Graphtecs and Rolands have a printer driver you can use to cut from various softwares. I have never tried it on a Mac, but I have done it with Windows some years ago...

This is how I cut from my Rolands.

However, be aware that if you cut from Ai, DRAW, and/or Inkscape (I can on my Rolands), it cuts in the order of the layers, so if that isn't the most efficient way to cut for things like tracking, then you'll have to manually adjust according. I know some cut specific software has the option to automatically sequence for efficiency with just a select and click.

That would be the one thing that I would be concerned of for your more complicated cuts. Just in my experience anyway.

qmr55

Is the Graphtec able to be setup as a standard printer on the Mac, which you could share with the network... and simply "Print" to it? I know the Graphtecs and Rolands have a printer driver you can use to cut from various softwares. I have never tried it on a Mac, but I have done it with Windows some years ago...

I use to do this with my old GX-24 but I'm not sure if its possible with Graphtecs and Macs? Anyone?

Don't see a graphtec driver anywhere to setup as a printer

Aklaim

All you need is the ethernet card for your plotter and you can place the machine on your network and cut from any computer. The Graphtec part number is OPH-A23.

Last edited:

AF

Our plotter is on the network and as a result it can be moved anywhere in the facility without moving the computer that runs it (and vice versa). I would also recommend going the network route with it.

graphicwarning

I don't know why I didn't think of or suggest this earlier... I have both my Roland cutters (that are only USB) hooked up across the room to my PC with a USB to Ethernet converter. I think they are about $10 to $30. Plug in the USB adapter to the PC, and the network cable to the adapter. On the other end, same thing... USB adapter to the cutter, network cable to the adapter.

I have Cat 5 plugs everywhere... I can plug my cutter in with a network cable and one of the adapters to any plug.

I "think" these are the most recent ones I have... I have two different sets from two different manufactures... they both work fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ext...&qid=1418935257&sr=8-13&keywords=usb+to+cat+5

brycesteiner

Ok so our setup is as follows...

I would like to move the graphtec to the print room. My options are as follow....

1. Put Illustrator on the Mac in the production room, cut out of that
2. Export all cut vinyl jobs as EPS files and cut through Caldera

Both options are more tedious then just cutting from Flexi as that is where I lay out most simple one color cut jobs.

My question:

Is there any way to hook the Graphtec via USB to the mac in the production room and still cut from my computer in my office via Flexi & CM?

Thanks!

The other responses are all good. You have lots of options.

Another would be putting Virtualbox on your Mac and run Windows 7 and Flex in a full screen on one of the desktops or "spaces". If your mac is anything in the last 5 years it will run it just fine. I did this just so I wouldn't have so many computers around since we are tight on space. No problems at all. I was running it on a dedicated 6 core AMD with plenty of ram. It worked fine.
The virtualbox option on the 27" iMac worked just as good or better. Can't tell a difference other than I have more space on my desk. Speedwise it's not difference either when ripping,cutting or printing. The only speed difference that I can actually measure is when I'm pulling stock width measurements from my printer. The virtual machine (running win 7) is instantaneous and the PC took a few seconds and couple of clicks. That may have been Windows 8 though.

Mike001

You could also install something like TeamViewer or similar software, and access the computer remotely... use it as tho you are sitting in front of it.

I do that alot. Sit in the comfort of my lounge whilst controlling the remote computer in the workshop.
Also have a cam attached and pointed at the printer so I can see exactly whats going on.

phototec

I don't know why I didn't think of or suggest this earlier... I have both my Roland cutters (that are only USB) hooked up across the room to my PC with a USB to Ethernet converter. I think they are about $10 to $30. Plug in the USB adapter to the PC, and the network cable to the adapter. On the other end, same thing... USB adapter to the cutter, network cable to the adapter.

I have Cat 5 plugs everywhere... I can plug my cutter in with a network cable and one of the adapters to any plug.

I "think" these are the most recent ones I have... I have two different sets from two different manufactures... they both work fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Ext...&qid=1418935257&sr=8-13&keywords=usb+to+cat+5

Thanks for the tip, not that I need them right now, but for the price of $14 for a pair, I'm going to order them to have on hand, never know when I may need to extend a USB cable up to 150'.

Thanks

This is how I cut from my Rolands.

However, be aware that if you cut from Ai, DRAW, and/or Inkscape (I can on my Rolands), it cuts in the order of the layers, so if that isn't the most efficient way to cut for things like tracking, then you'll have to manually adjust according. I know some cut specific software has the option to automatically sequence for efficiency with just a select and click.

That would be the one thing that I would be concerned of for your more complicated cuts. Just in my experience anyway.

Couldn't you set up all your cuts on one layer. And then it will start from the closest point?

WildWestDesigns

Couldn't you set up all your cuts on one layer. And then it will start from the closest point?

Each object typically is on it's own sublayer within the main layer. You still have an order of creation (or an order of sequence if you tend to manipulate that order (I do)) even if you have all the lines on one main layer.

Programs like CutStudio (I only mention that because the OP mentioned cutting off the GX-24 at one time and that's the software that comes with that program, but bare in mind that's a no frills cutting program) reads your EPS file as one main layer even if you were to pull that EPS file in Ai and see several layers.

Bill Modzel

I have my old G4 hooked up to my Graphtec 7000-100 via the serial connection and my MacPro hooked up via USB. I can cut from either via Cutting master from Illustrator without a hitch. I contour cut from the Pro all of my decals from my HP26500 and just to normal vinyl cutting from the G4. I use Cutting Master for all of my contour cutting instead of Caldera. It's super accurate and simple to use.