• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mac + Ricoh 7000 + flexisign

RalphGS

does anybody use a Mac in combination with a Ricoh 7000 sublimation printer?

and if so; how do you setup your ICC profile in Flexi to print & cut?

I get soooo frustrated with this system!

WildWestDesigns

I don't use a MAC, but I do have it setup on my PC and I use Ai to print from. As far as setting up the profile, it depends on what printer firmware you are using. Are you using the one that you were able to download with the purchase of the inks or are you using the Ricoh firmware and seperate ICC profile?

CES020

Why are you running your sublimation print through flexi? Printing and cutting? What are you printing and cutting that's for sublimation?

Do you have/use Illustrator?

WildWestDesigns

Why are you running your sublimation print through flexi? Printing and cutting? What are you printing and cutting that's for sublimation?

I can see where setting up regs mark for a cutter to cut the paper would come in handy, especially for the smaller items.

Do you have/use Illustrator?

It would work in Coral as well, but he would have to be running parrallels or equilivant on his MAC to be running that vector program, IIRC.

RalphGS

I have Illustrator and Fleximac Print&Cut.
To get fullcolor prints on cotton shirts I have to print on sublimation paper; press this on special foil, run this true my Summa via Opos and cut it.

the problem is that I can't get the Ricoh to print the colors good (I cannot get the ICC profile installed in Flexi)
So I am wondering who has the same system and get's good prints.....

RalphGS

and I have parallels installed but the dongle isn't recognised so it only works on my Mac, and the powerdriver that comes with Ricoh only works on Windows.... frustration!

WildWestDesigns

Is there a plugin for your cutter for Illustrator? Try loading the profile in illustrator, use the plugin to get your regs marks for the cutter(I know I can do this with my roland, but I don't know about yours) and then print.

I'm surprised that there isn't a powerdriver version for the MAC.

Tim Aucoin

To get fullcolor prints on cotton shirts I have to print on sublimation paper; press this on special foil, run this true my Summa via Opos and cut it.

This has piqued my interest... Not to be a :thread but... I was under the impression that you couldn't sublimate cotton? I just got the GX7000 and am waiting on my inks, so I'm quite interested in this process. Can you elaborate a little? :rolleyes:

RalphGS

you cannot sublimate on cotton; so you sublimate on a roll of foil which is made of nylon (subliflex or subliflock). you print it with opos-reg.marks on subli-paper, press it for 60 seconds on 190 degrees Celcius, then you run it trough the vinylcutter, weed it and press it again.

Because I hate Windows I want to do it on a Mac; which the supplier said it would. But the problem is that I cant get the ICC-profile to get installed in Flexisign.

My workaround is:
-design in Illustrator
-rasterize in Illustrator (because Flexi changes the colors/gradients and so on)
-make contourline in Illustrator
-open in Flexi
-make contourcutline
-save file
-save file to USB stick
-open macbook (because parallel desktop doesn't recognize the dongle on my iMac which has parallel 6 installed)
-open parallel desktop 5 on my macbook
-insert usb stick and dongle
-save file to my documents
-insert printer usb
-print via flexi to ricoh printer
-press the sublipaper on subliflex
-insert vinylcutter USB
-insert sublipaper in vinylcutter
-contourcut via flexi
-f*ck it up with cutting
-and start all over again

understand my frustration? but hey, I can sublimate on cotton!!! woeeeeeehoeeeew!!!

And all this frustration would be gone IF:
flexi would let me install the ICC profiles

Tim Aucoin

Wow... I do see your frustration. That's a lot of extra steps to go through. :frustrated: Sounds like Flexi needs to step up here. Thanks for the info! :thumb:

WildWestDesigns

Because I hate Windows I want to do it on a Mac; which the supplier said it would. But the problem is that I cant get the ICC-profile to get installed in Flexisign.

My workaround is:
-design in Illustrator
-rasterize in Illustrator (because Flexi changes the colors/gradients and so on)
-make contourline in Illustrator
-open in Flexi
-make contourcutline
-save file
-save file to USB stick
-open macbook (because parallel desktop doesn't recognize the dongle on my iMac which has parallel 6 installed)
-open parallel desktop 5 on my macbook
-insert usb stick and dongle
-save file to my documents
-insert printer usb
-print via flexi to ricoh printer
-press the sublipaper on subliflex
-insert vinylcutter USB
-insert sublipaper in vinylcutter
-contourcut via flexi
-f*ck it up with cutting
-and start all over again

understand my frustration? but hey, I can sublimate on cotton!!! woeeeeeehoeeeew!!!

And all this frustration would be gone IF:
flexi would let me install the ICC profiles

You might just want to let go of your hatred of Windows and for the purposes of sublimation work directly through windows. If I had to go through all those steps, I probably wouldn't do it at all. I can only suggest try to do as much as you can through illustrator and not use Flexi. Do you have the bypass tray in there as well? I can understand using flexi if you were wanting to do wide format printing, but if the only printer you have is the 7000, Ai should handle that printing fine. It does for me anyway.

RalphGS

so you do the printing and cutting via Illustrator? which plugin do you use and where can I find a tutorial/how to?

I asked around (when not knowing about this forum) and I was told I had to purchase Flexi Print & Cut otherwise I wouldn't be able to print&cut......

WildWestDesigns

so you do the printing and cutting via Illustrator? which plugin do you use and where can I find a tutorial/how to?

I asked around (when not knowing about this forum) and I was told I had to purchase Flexi Print & Cut otherwise I wouldn't be able to print&cut......

I use Roland's plugin for Ai. Which has a preview area that shows what's going to be cut(all layers, current selected layers etc) and it allows to put the 3 marks that my cutter needs for registration.

I would look to see if the cutter has a plugin specifically for Ai and hopefully, it is a decent plugin as well that gives some options like I mentioned above. I can only speak of what the Roland one makes available and there are more that I haven't messed with just because it hasn't come up yet.

CES020

It's CoCut you're thinking of; they also make their own plug-in, WinPlot, but it only has drivers for their cutters.

Nope, not thinking of CoCut. I have a Summa plug in for Corel, it's got the OPOS icon on it too. Yes, it does take it into winplot. He should be able to do that.

CES020

I just installed the summa plug in for illustrator. You can put the opos marks on the document and then send it through winplot.

You can use your icc profiles in illustrator, put the opos marks in, in illustrator, print it, then send the file to winplot from illustrator and you should be good to go, skipping a boat load of steps in there.

Jim Doggett

Nope, not thinking of CoCut. I have a Summa plug in for Corel, it's got the OPOS icon on it too. Yes, it does take it into winplot. He should be able to do that.

If he has a Summa cutter. They only include drivers for their own equipment.

Correction!!! Sorry I reread.

Indeed. WinPlot gets you there, RalphGS. But check Summa's support site and make sure the firmware for the cutter is the latest and greatest. And then download the newest WinPlot. Both are free and work great with Summa cutters

Last edited: