• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mac w/Parallels, Problem sending to GCC Puma III

PFS

Wasn't really sure where to put this because it's kind of an odd combo and I'm new to Macs. It was working after setup by Ruth at GCC, but now during Christmas weekend, it decides not to. I'll give her a call back after Christmas, but thought I'd run it by y'all to see if I could get it going before then. Also, to learn a bit about this computer they call Macintosh.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with Parallels Desktop 7 and Windows 7. I use CorelDraw 11 and send to GreatCut and then to the GCC Puma III. (Bust on me if you must; I can take it. I'm open to suggestions on a better setup, but for other reasons I just switched to a Mac after 22 years. I've been using Corel for years and ver. 11 does all I need it to. I do have an old Sony PC that I could fall back on for cutting vinyl if necessary. I'd rather not because I travel with the Mac and can work on the road and then cut when I get home.)

Anyway, I connect the Puma to the Mac via USB with the Windows interface. I draw up something in Corel, send it to GreatCut with no problems. At this point, I try to "read material" and the cutter is not recognized even though I get the connection tone when I plug it into the usb port. If I try to output to the Puma, I get two printers that show up on the bottom of my Mac screen and both have undefined errors. It looks like it's trying to sent it to my laser printer and not the cutter. I have the ouput device set as Puma III 60, and like I said, Ruth at GCC had it all set up and working. I don't know what could have changed or what to even look for since I'm a noob to macs. Does anybody else use a crazy setup like this?

Thanks,
Pete

CES020

I can't answer your question, but I run Parallels on a Mac, and something you wrote makes me think that it's not seeing things in the PC world, it's seeing them in the Mac. You said that something popped up on your Mac side telling you there were errors. I "think" that's your issue. When using Parallels and Windows 7, all errors related to W7 should show up on the Windows side, not on the Mac side. You shouldn't be able to do something on the Windows side and have it come up with a Mac issue. I'd exit coherence mode and work through the problem in Windows, make sure the devices are showing up and available in Windows and you should be fine.

It should have nothing to do with the Mac at all.

Just my random thoughts on it. Don't know if that helps any, but try troubleshooting it from the Windows side completely.

WildWestDesigns

You don't need to go strictly on the windows side, but work through it on Parrallels. You said that you are using a USB connection. Do you have the USB setup to be shared with the Windows "side"?

When I was using this setup (except on an iMac) it was the usb card writer/dongle for my embroidery software and it was due to the USB not being shared with the Window's interface. Once it was shared, I had the program up and running.

That would be my first and best guess with the issue. I have since ditched the effort to work with a Mac and stayed with all Windows and Linux OS computers, so that's all the experience that I have with that.