• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Machine/Service/Supply distributor in SF Bay area?

ecstaticdesign

My print shop is expanding into the wide format market, and we're shopping around. We've met with one salesperson/distributor thus far, but I'd like to talk to more if they're out there. We don't have our hearts set on any particular machine yet (although we more or less know what we want/don't need), but we're looking for a someone who can supply service and supplies in the North Bay of San Francisco.

Web searches haven't been particularly fruitful, and I'm still learning the Signs101 site, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to direct this newbie in the right direction!

toomeycustoms

What are you planning to print? We are in Petaluma too and use denco for service and ink and advantage signs for materials.

ecstaticdesign

Thanks for the response. We've had a very knowledgeable Denco rep stop by last week, and I hope to talk with a Midwest rep soon. The Denco rep was selling us on either HP (360 or 330) or Roland (the Roland RF-640 seemed like a good fit for us), but he also trash talked the Mimakis a little, and I've read some good things about those.

It is apparent that we want to find reliable suppliers and service since printing wide format in-house is new to us. That can make as much difference to success as the machine we actually buy.

Since they deliver/service the North Bay, it looks like Denco or Midwest are going to be our best options until we get some experience under our belts.

Now I'm off to scour the forums for pearls...

What brand machine you lookin for? Go to prefered machine website for distributor info.

Roland - http://www.rolanddga.com/

Mimaki - http://www.mimakiusa.com/

Mutoh - http://www.mutoh.com/

HP - http://www8.hp.com/us/en/commercial-printers/latex-printers/products.html

Distributors ....

Denco - Concord, CA - http://dencosales.com/

Midwest - Hayward, CA - http://www.midwestsign.com/

ecstaticdesign

Thanks for the tip. We're looking to produce simple vinyl banners, posters and foam core signs that we currently outsource to a number of vendors (of various quality/punctuality). I personally wasn't aware of your business over there, I'll keep you in mind for future jobs. I certainly haven't known where to send "fine art" print customers other than Skylark Images, and the cut vinyl is cool too. We don't really plan on getting anywhere near that market (or vehicle wrapping either).

What are you planning to print? We are in Petaluma too and use denco for service and ink and advantage signs for materials.

d fleming

Fred gave some very good advice. Go to the show, see the products running and reps there. Also a great place to get a show only deal.

toomeycustoms

Thanks for the tip. We're looking to produce simple vinyl banners, posters and foam core signs that we currently outsource to a number of vendors (of various quality/punctuality). I personally wasn't aware of your business over there, I'll keep you in mind for future jobs. I certainly haven't known where to send "fine art" print customers other than Skylark Images, and the cut vinyl is cool too. We don't really plan on getting anywhere near that market (or vehicle wrapping either).

If those are your only products you want to offer, just get a aqueous printer such as a Canon imageprograph or Epson 9900 for under $5k. The aqueous printer would be better suited for the posters and foam core signs. I wouldn't invest in a $15k+ solvent/latex printer just to do banners.

ecstaticdesign

While that would be better for posters and indoor signage, at least 70% of our work is for outdoor vinyl banners. I'm not really sure aqueous would be our best solution. I do love the quality our Epson 4880 proofer though.

If those are your only products you want to offer, just get a aqueous printer such as a Canon imageprograph or Epson 9900 for under $5k. The aqueous printer would be better suited for the posters and foam core signs. I wouldn't invest in a $15k+ solvent/latex printer just to do banners.

Bretbyron

Thanks for the response. We've had a very knowledgeable Denco rep stop by last week, and I hope to talk with a Midwest rep soon. The Denco rep was selling us on either HP (360 or 330) or Roland (the Roland RF-640 seemed like a good fit for us), but he also trash talked the Mimakis a little, and I've read some good things about those.

It is apparent that we want to find reliable suppliers and service since printing wide format in-house is new to us. That can make as much difference to success as the machine we actually buy.

Since they deliver/service the North Bay, it looks like Denco or Midwest are going to be our best options until we get some experience under our belts.

Now I'm off to scour the forums for pearls...

Yeah, they don't even carry Mimaki cutter blades . Grimco sold us our Mimaki's so cheap we couldn't say no.

I have had nothing but great luck with Grimco. Excellent pricing, delivery is always next day, the tech support for hardware is always great. They have a lot of people all around that will help solve your problems. And they have a location in San Fran.

San Francisco, CA
2707 McCone Ave
Hayward, CA 94545
ph: 800.542.9941
fx: 800.760.5575

Bretbyron

Why would they sell mimaki blades if they don't sell mimaki's?????? If they don't sell HP Latex printers they are not going to carry the ink.

I think that was my point Big, Denco reps are not going to talk positive about a product that they cannot provide or service. You wouldn't talk to a Ford dealer about Chevy's. Don't get me wrong, I really like Denco and get many supplies from them.