• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mack Daddy Heat Gun

rjssigns

Worth the cabbage? I'd have to say no, unless they have an no questions asked lifetime warranty.

I use the Harbor Freight dual temp heat guns. $7.99 with a coupon and they work quite well. If I drop it or run it over I don't care.

SqueeGee

I was going to try out one of those $8 heat guns, also. Have you had good luck with them?

I'm interested in the expensive gun primarily(really almost exclusively) for post heating. Thinking I could put a less skilled helper on this not-so-glamorous, but very important step but still trust that it was done correctly with the dial in temp.

Anyone coughed up the dough to give it a shot?

rjssigns

I was going to try out one of those $8 heat guns, also. Have you had good luck with them?

Yup, they work quite well. I'd bet the guts are no different than the $500 unit.

I'm interested in the expensive gun primarily(really almost exclusively) for post heating. Thinking I could put a less skilled helper on this not-so-glamorous, but very important step but still trust that it was done correctly with the dial in temp.

I'd spend a couple minutes training the less skilled help and buy one of these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Etekcity-DT-8550-IR-Infrared-Thermometer/39881573

Anyone coughed up the dough to give it a shot?

You first.

player

They measure the temperature of the surface you are heating and display that for you.

I can't afford the $66 holster, let alone $500 bucks for the heat gun...

SqueeGee

It's *supposed* to measure the surface temp and then adjust the supplied heat according to the temperature you've set. So let's say you dial your post heat temp in at 200 degrees and go to work. If you move too quickly, it would try to compensate by giving more heat. Too slowly - less heat. If it works, just that swell, I'd throw $400 at it. Would love to hear from anyone that has one, though.

$500 is not a waste of money in my opinion if you are a wrap installer. This would be an amazing tool. You set your target temp for the material not the gun.. Then the gun raises the temp until the surface material has reached that heat. It then lowers and maintains that heat on the surface level. In other words you aren't going to overheat your materials. And like stated before with someone inexperienced only post heating and they could ruin an entire wrap.

worthy1

Interesting, if it actually worked as designed than would be a good bit of kit (except the price tag).

Only way to find out would be to use it and then quickly take the temp with a stand alone laser temp, anyone willing to try....

SqueeGee

Used the new gun for a couple jobs. So far it's performed as advertised. Pretty awesome. Set the temp you want the surface to get to and if you don't move the gun, it adjusts the heat it's putting out to maintain the temp you've set. Lightweight and compact. It's legit. Hopefully it stays that way.

rjssigns

Used the new gun for a couple jobs. So far it's performed as advertised. Pretty awesome. Set the temp you want the surface to get to and if you don't move the gun, it adjusts the heat it's putting out to maintain the temp you've set. Lightweight and compact. It's legit. Hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks for the update. Nothing like real world feedback. Only question now is how long will it last?

CreatedDesigns

I have owned this for about 6 months it works great no issues so far I have not used the high temp settings yet but I have tried it to see how it works pretty neat low temp does not go over 500.

decalman

I use a 25 dollar Wagner.
I keep my hand next to the heated surface.
If my hand turns beet red, and then black, then I know, that I have succeeded in not damaging the surface.
I keep lots of bag balm around for this.