Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAD URGENT!!! I missed a big dead line.

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by elitetech, May 26, 2012.

1. elitetech

elitetech Member

Dec 14, 2011
    MD
    I had a resturant grand opening that I missed. Ouch.... The client wanted clear vinyl which she saw at Burger king and wanted to cover several of her windows with her logo and some design at around the enterance area. However, I ordered few supposed clear vinyls one from avery and one from orajet, but have visable adhisave backing, and also the test print looks very weak, I have seen images with the clear vinyl,and mine doesnt look any thing like it. I dont think I have the right product, I have spoken with both suppliers and they tell me its the right product, but I know its not. Does any one know a good absolutly clear eco solvent vinyl?

Tags:
  2. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    3M makes an optically clear vinyl, otherwise you might consider a static cling material.

3. john1

john1 Guest

You need to be able to print white, I'm guessing your machine doesn't

4. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Correct, if you don't have the capability of printing a white base or flood under the 4-color process image your prints will be very transparent.

5. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    I do not bother with clear.
    I have it printed on white, the one I'm doing now 9 windows 2 logos each I'm hand cutting them out , since they did not send proper file, not going to vector because then the sign print shop would have file and we share customer. Gives me advantage.

6. elitetech

elitetech Member

Dec 14, 2011
    MD
    I can print white,but its weak and not viberant, here as the attachment, is what i want it to look like.

Attached Files:

7. the graphics co

the graphics co Active Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Gurnee, IL
    Order it from someone who can produce it properly. I am sure there are a few people on the sight that could help you out. If i am trying something for the first time i try to get my feet wet practicing and experimenting on my own stuff, not when I have a deadline and a paying client. There is no shame in outsourcing, your client will be happy that it is done right and on time.

If you don't have the time now because the deadline is up, i would lock myself in my shop and experiment until it was perfect, even if that means staying up till tomorrow working on it.

-Cameron

8. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    This is common sense. If you're printing on clear and can't print white, how can you expect to get white?

Print and cut using regular white vinyl , apply to clear film or apply directly to window.

9. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    +100

10. k.a.s.

k.a.s. Very Active Member

Aug 8, 2003
    NE ohio
    If the art is like what is in the pic you posted, why dont you just print and contour cut to shape?

Kevin

11. Vital Designs

Vital Designs Vital Designs

May 29, 2005
    Dalls, Texas
    Find someone with a gerber edge or Summa DC4. Can't beat thermal for printing on clear.

12. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    your post says that you can print white. if it's not opaque enough 2x print the white, let it dry, 2x one more time, let dry, then do the color file. simultaneous white printing isn't all it's cracked up to be. ...the image of the bus stop looks like a super easy project for a white/color ink printer.

13. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

If the windows aren't tinted you could reverse print on clear .. laminate with white vinyl .. reverse contour cut and stick it on from the inside.

14. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    +1

15. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    That's actually a pretty good idea!

16. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

Works very well .. I sometimes use that method for plexiglass signs. Reverse print/lam with white and stick it on the backside. Makes a nice glossy sign with some added protection.

17. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    Sweet. Thanks for the tip, never woulda thought of that!

18. john1

john1 Guest

That would work but the adhesive isn't UV resistant is it? Or am i thinking wrong here?

19. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    The Mutoh Valuejet 1604 that you've been posting about recently does not offer white ink...unless you are now printing with a different device...