Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made the switch.

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by MichaelAlmand, May 27, 2012.

1. MichaelAlmand

MichaelAlmand Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Canada
    I used to use corel now i switched to illustrator. The only thing i dont like about illustrator is withe the strokes around anything i have to break it all apart and weld it so i can cut the outline. Is there a better way to do it so the stroke has a full background?

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    If it is strictly an outside outline, then:

• Copy and paste back in place
    • Offset path
    If it is an overlaying outline centered on the original path, then:

• Stroke the original path
    • Convert stroke to path

3. Double Diamond

Double Diamond Member

Jul 11, 2009
    If it's an outline for text, then you need to ungroup the text before the weld and it will weld in one step. This feature needs to be practiced some. You will find it also has less random parts to delete if you do it at a larger scale. Some fonts like papyrus don't work well when they are small. Text and parts work better for the weld if they have a fill too, not just a stroke weight. This gives it three lines instead of two when you outline stroke, and the unite tool works as long as the text is ungrouped.
    Hope this helps. DD

4. Typestries

Typestries Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2007
    NJ | VT
    Had adobe not KILLED freehand, you could do it in one simple click! Yet another thing that FREEHAND does quickly and easily that illy does not!