• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic Decals?

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
Hello there Sign friends,

I have some standard sign equipment (eco solvent printer, Graphtec cutter FC8600-130, a shopbot CNC machine, and a laminator).

Is there an easy way to produce magnetic decals in large quantity? (Specifically customers tend to want Ovals/circles).

At the moment I'm considering either CNC cutting 500 magnetic ovals, and applying some vinyl on top (by hand, one by one). I'm also going to try laying down a sheet of vinyl on a sheet of magnetic, with cut marks, and have my plotter cut them out. But the graphtec is galvanized, so the magnetic sheeting jams up on the cutter. So it takes some serious "rigging" to get it to even cut the magnetics.

Anything I'm just not thinking of that might be an easier route to mass producing magnetic decals, cut into shapes?

I appreciate any advice!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not print directly onto the vinyl, lay it on the magnetic and use some registration marks and have the CNC cut them out ??

Malkin

For ovals/circles that are maybe 6" or bigger, I have cut a matching shape from something like 3mm ACM, put non-skid shelf liner on the back, and then just traced around that with my utility knife to cut the mag.
Could also outsource the job to Stouse who can die cut them.

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
Why not print directly onto the vinyl, lay it on the magnetic and use some registration marks and have the CNC cut them out ??

So I like this idea, but I've had some issues with getting registration marks to work properly with my CNC. It might be an issue of it being out of square or something, but when I setup 4 registration marks, they don't line up perfectly (so if I line up one mark, the other mark is now wrong, and so on)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Make sure your X/Y match up perfectly for your print file AND your CNC file. Don't know the size of your equipment, but only do maybe enough up and over to get say 50 or so done at a time. Therefore, you won't have too much veering off. Remember to put a slight bleed on the edge of each print if its a full bleed.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.............CNC traditional spindle? Laser? Drag Knife table? I could see laser maybe or drag knife. I can't see a traditional router working well with magnetic material. Those chips are going to stick to everything including the bit. They are little pieces of magnet flying off. If you do I want to see a video.

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
For ovals/circles that are maybe 6" or bigger, I have cut a matching shape from something like 3mm ACM, put non-skid shelf liner on the back, and then just traced around that with my utility knife to cut the mag.
Could also outsource the job to Stouse who can die cut them.

Wow.

So I calculated my cost per decal at roughly $0.50, and stouse is going to charge me $0.60 per unit, and I don't have to make them.

Thank you for the info.

BlueRidgeSignSupply

Print Manager
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm.............CNC traditional spindle? Laser? Drag Knife table? I could see laser maybe or drag knife. I can't see a traditional router working well with magnetic material. Those chips are going to stick to everything including the bit. They are little pieces of magnet flying off. If you do I want to see a video.

It actually routes extremely easily. The magnetic material does stick a little to the blade, but it doesn't melt or anything like that. The real pain is the magnetic debris sticking to the magnet itself. It's fine for large magnets, but smaller ones are a problem for cleanup for sure.

It actually routes extremely easily. The magnetic material does stick a little to the blade, but it doesn't melt or anything like that. The real pain is the magnetic debris sticking to the magnet itself. It's fine for large magnets, but smaller ones are a problem for cleanup for sure.

Good to know. I was worried about chips on the bit sticking and causing issues on the edge of the cut. Keep this in mind for future.

Joel golden

What about rigging up a plastic I feed and out feed table for your graphtec? I’ve cut some weird stuff like that but never magnetic. Just a thought

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Get a clicker press and have some steel die rules made.
Set up some alignment pins so you can throw sheets under the die without having to worry about alignment.
Will cut mags clean and fast.