• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic sheeting recommendation

signguy37

We use quality materials!
I have been using "Brand X" magnetic sheeting for the last several years and have not been satisfied with the holding power of the material. The sheeting I am using is the most expensive in the supply catalog and is self proclaimed as having the most poles per inch, so it's not like I am skimping. However, I have found that many customers have been having issues with the magnetics holding to metal surfaces. I have been in the sign business almost 30 years and have never experienced as much product failure as I have the last 5 years.

If I call a supplier, they'll give me the sales pitch for what is best, but I want to hear it from a fellow sign maker what brand has been working best for them without ripping a competitor, that's not my intention to find out what is NOT working, but what IS working successfully for them.

I have tried to print directly on the solvent printable magnetic material too, but found out in a hurry that the thin, printable material was just not working out either, so we are either cutting vinyl or printing on high performance vinyl and applying it over the magnetic sheeting. I've had failures on even simple black text on white magnetic USDOT numbers... why does this not stick like it used to?

Any input appreciated!

Thanks.

VTG

Just out of curiosity, are the issues that you mentioned occurring on stationary metal objects, or just on moving objects (vehicles), or both? Is the issue isolated to a certain thickness (12, 20 or 30 mil) or all of them?

Mosh

I have been using it for years. Keep in mind newer cars have less metal. Thinner door skins and a lot more plastic parts...might be part of the problem.

phototec

You might want to do a search, there was a thread recently about magnetic sheeting for the last several years NOT being as strong as in the past and some failures on parts of the rolls.

Also, Mosh is correct, in the quest to get better fuel millage, vehicles manufacturers have reduced the amount of steel they use in auto skins and this will play into the magnetic sheeting NOT adhering as well as on older vehicles.

My vote is for Magnum.

:smile:

VTG

We use Magnum also. Haven't had any issues or complaints from customers (knock on wood).

I've read that extreme heat can have a negative effect on magnets (essentially de-magnetizing the magnet or reducing the magnet's holding power). I'm pretty sure it would have to be exterme heat (beyond the Curie point of the magnet), and I have no proof that this applies to sheet magnets.

petrosgraphics

magnun...... never a problem.. mosh is right, as you go forward...
did a job 2 years ago, cust. wanted mags for her car.... sized it up, cut vinyl,
went to place mags on car..... doors were plastic, DOUGH!!!!!! never did that again...

Matt-Tastic

Like Mosh said, it's hard to stick magnets to aluminum and plastic.

and everyone else is right. Magnum is the best all around magnet.