• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetic sign critique/Question about cutting...

x2chris7x

I've been getting bored with the standard rectangular magnetic signs that we do, so decided to do something a lil different... Cut the mag into a custom shape. I've kept this shape simple so I'd be able to cut it out with a straightedge. Please let me know what you think, and if there's anything you'd suggest that may improve the design. (Colors and all wording was requested by customer)(BTW "Go" or "Geaux" is a cajun thing down here in Louisiana for those who don't know)

So now the question... How can you/do you cut magnetic material into custom shapes?? The material sticks to our plotter, so I assume that won't work. Other than cutting by hand with an xacto knife, is there another way to do this?

Attachments

• Maid 2 Geaux - Magnetic (Proof).jpg
    Maid 2 Geaux - Magnetic (Proof).jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 90

SignManiac

I use an exacto knife or utility knife. two passes at most and a steady hand on the curves. Straight edge as a guide on the straights.

Mosh

Round the points on the arrows, sharp corners will catch wind more than a rounded over one.

SignManiac

Here are a few different profiles I've done over the years.

Attachments

• firstclass pressure.jpg
    firstclass pressure.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 79
  • handyman.jpg
    handyman.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 85
  • RJ Morgan.jpg
    RJ Morgan.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 85
  • sumter-mag.jpg
    sumter-mag.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Ugly Homes.jpg
    Ugly Homes.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 88
  • chipsmag.jpg
    chipsmag.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Thrift.jpg
    Thrift.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 90

x2chris7x

Here are a few different profiles I've done over the years.

Thanks you showing. Very cool! What would you do with the City Council Mags if they ordered a large quantity? Still cut by hand, or is there a place that you can get magnetic blanks cut to any shape?

SignManiac

I have in the past used my cnc router table with a 60 degree bit to score the mag then it tears apart nicely.You could sub that out I'm sure.

chartle

So now the question... How can you/do you cut magnetic material into custom shapes?? The material sticks to our plotter, so I assume that won't work. Other than cutting by hand with an xacto knife, is there another way to do this?

One system I have seen is that the material is cut and then magnetized.

http://www.magnummagnetics.com/magnetizers/

[video=youtube;EcUrPoYLVRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcUrPoYLVRY[/video]

astraios

We have just ordered SummaCutter S and the rep guaranties that it can cut magnetic material with heavy duty knife (even with standard but the machine can struggle a little). I've red some threads that this is not recommended. What is your experience?

chartle

We have just ordered SummaCutter S and the rep guaranties that it can cut magnetic material with heavy duty knife (even with standard but the machine can struggle a little). I've red some threads that this is not recommended. What is your experience?

My tech support guy says that the issue is that the material doesn't feed well so if you were say cutting circles you really get ovals.

shado

Application Tape

It's typically never a great idea to run magnetic material through a plotter but I have found that applying a layer of application tape to the magnetic side sometimes helps it feed a little smoother. It really only has to score through the top sheet anyway so the material will hold together fairly well. Also, some of the shops I've worked at in the past would cut on the magnetic side instead of the top. Obviously, it requires a lot more down force and isn't a good solution if you are trying to contour cut graphics that have already been printed/applied to the magnetic sheeting.

x2chris7x

UPDATE: Mags came out really nice... First time cutting a custom shape. Customer loved them, but as I watched them walk out into the parking lot the first thing they did was put the mags on their vehicle with the arrows pointing BACKWARDS!!! lol :banghead:

The whole reason for the arrow was to convey "Maid to Go." Go forward not backwards... but oh well. I was expecting a call today from the customer complaining that the arrows pointed back instead of forward, but didn't... The whole double-sided arrow thing seems to really confuse some customers around here. lol

But anyway, thanks for all the replies. Very informative :thumb:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 80

royster13

UPDATE: Mags came out really nice... First time cutting a custom shape. Customer loved them, but as I watched them walk out into the parking lot the first thing they did was put the mags on their vehicle with the arrows pointing BACKWARDS!!! lol :banghead:

The whole reason for the arrow was to convey "Maid to Go." Go forward not backwards... but oh well. I was expecting a call today from the customer complaining that the arrows pointed back instead of forward, but didn't... The whole double-sided arrow thing seems to really confuse some customers around here. lol

But anyway, thanks for all the replies. Very informative :thumb:

Backwards they may stay on the vehicle better.....The point of the arrow might be a problem...