• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnetics on Mimaki

rexsee

Just a question if it's possible to print magnetics with .5mil thickness on a mimaki jv33. Thanks

javierunzueta

Magnetics... absolutely...

I was at the SGIA show in Orlando when I came across a magnetic sheet vendor. Lo and Behold, he was printing off a Mimaki JV33-160 (same model I have.)

I had attempted to do this in the past without success. The magnetic roll would always stick to the incredible amount of metal on the machine.

The solution was simplicity itself.
He had taped a flexible plastic sheet (1mm-2mm thick), behind and in front of, the aluminum section in the center. (He also taped a sheet of aluminum foil on top of that. I found that step to be unnecessary.) The magnetic sheeting is far enough away from the metal, and the smooth plastic counters the minimal friction enough so that it works like a dream.

Whenever I had a car magnet to print, I would pull out my plastic, tape it on, and print direct to the roll.

Since then, I have converted to teflon for a thinner and more frictionless surface.

rexsee

behind and in front of the aluminum area, which means the heater part right?, the pre heater and post heater part.

rexsee

i've got a question, which is of different topic, do you print in 12 or 24 pass? i find it weird that our supplier tells us the mimaki uses less ink if it was used on 24 pass, but he might be right, so i wana know your opinions. thanks

Rooster

i've got a question, which is of different topic, do you print in 12 or 24 pass? i find it weird that our supplier tells us the mimaki uses less ink if it was used on 24 pass, but he might be right, so i wana know your opinions. thanks

If you use the same profile for 24 pass that you used for 12 pass then it will lay down less ink. If you reset the ink limits and create your own profile for a 24 pass setting then 24 pass can lay down more ink than 12 pass.

rexsee

If you use the same profile for 24 pass that you used for 12 pass then it will lay down less ink. If you reset the ink limits and create your own profile for a 24 pass setting then 24 pass can lay down more ink than 12 pass.

oh ic, which means less ink and better output? it's just slower? thanks

Rooster

A properly created profile for a 24 pass setting will allow you to lay down more ink and get better saturation.

Using a 12 pass profile with the machine set to 24 pass will produce prints that look anemic and washed out by comparison.

Using 24 pass and bi-directional printing (high-speed) will print at the same speed as 12 pass uni-directional and produce better looking prints with smoother dot patterns and better solids.