• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnets for Vehicle Graphics

natedawg9640

Personally, I don't see the use. The vast majority of what I install on is fiberglass, aluminum, and plastic. unless there are some new magnets i don't know about that stick to said materials, they're of no use.

drive

Never used magnets on a vehicle wrap. I hope you don't plan on putting them directly on the paint. Although the vinyl will cover any scratches or knife marks in the paint. lol
I imagine your using them as placeholders for the vinyl?

Mosh

I got some magnets from geek wraps they are covered in leather and have a strap to pull them up. Used them twice and now they sit in the grip, next to the rivet brush.

txsurfer

i picked up some strong magnets at Home Depot just did a H2 and used the magnets to get it all mocked up!

Letterbox Mike

I've tried magnets like you listed, they're not usually strong enough. Go to home depot, they sell little magnets that are about 1"x2"x.5". I want to say they're about a buck a piece. Wrap them in duct tape and you're good to go.

You can also go find a car stereo store and ask if you can buy )or preferably have) some of the old speakers the remove from cars being upgraded. Take the magnets out of them, wrap them in duct tape, and you're even better..

jc1cell

Thank you all for your answers.

Already tried the home depot route without any luck. Will go the speaker route and see what I find.

Appreciate it.

jc

G

Ginger

We got ours from Fellers (Pro Wrap Mags). Paid more than I wanted to, but they definitely save some time and tape. I don't think it probably matters too much which magnets you get honestly, just use common sense when using them so you don't dent or scratch the substrate.

Cheers!

jiarby

Bust out some magnets from old hard drives. They are super strong neodymium rare earth ones... You can wrap them in banner material.

StickySigns

Avery has magnets just for that purpose, we use them all the time...

very handy and they do not scratch the car at all (when they are clean :))

Reference on our Avery pricelist = MAVXD5984

Kyle Blue

We have magnets similar to the last link you have posted, but instead of hooks, we bought knobs you would use on cabinet doors. They work great for what we do.

WrapperX

We use the pro wrap mags too. I use them initially to put my horizontal panels in place however I still use tape along the edges when I pull the backer off. The magnets are great for holding in place but still don't hold up to a tug.

HulkSmash

get geek wrap magnets.. you'll never say magnets don't work again.. ive almost broken a finger using them.

Stuckup

Old post yes, but magnets are awesome, I use the Avery magnets (and they free), strong and don't slip. I use about 8 mags a 1 person full wrap wrap. They are the extra hand you need. I think if 2 magnets cant hold a full side of vinyl on a van, then they are not strong enough. Best alternate use Ive seen of a Signage magnet, taking the iron rich black sands out of a gold pan, 2nd best, to put magnet in pocket and hold a hammer while on a ladder.

graphics guru

vote for geek wrap mags. very strong. use your common sense. held a 20' panel, a horizontal seem in place...installed by one person. speaks for itself