• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Magnum Engage Magnetic Receptive vs HP Latex 365

Stinky Prints

Searched but did not find....

As a head’s up, we were sold Magnum Magnetics Engage media as a substitute for Visual Magnetics Poly 8 material. After winning a big account, and printing a fair amount of large displays, we discovered the Engage doesn’t lay flat on the existing magnetic substrate. We suspected this was due to the heat of the latex curing process. Talked to Magnum today and they confirmed this. They’ve sent us some of their in-house custom profiles, and we’ll give these a shot today and will update here.

In the meantime, anyone else had this issue? and since Visual Magnetics seems impossible to source right now, does anyone have any suggestions on a material that would work with our latex printer or does anyone have profile suggestions for using the Engage on our HP Latex?

Thanks! - Destin

Stinky Prints

Update - Magnum cannot supply profiles that work with our Flexi RIP and our HP Latex 365. Anyone have a profile and could share the temp and ink% values? Would be greatly appreciated!

dypinc

So Magunm does not not supply oms files for the 300 series printers.

Go here and look. https://www.printos.com/ml/#/medialocator

Or create a new media preset with these settings and make a new profile.

Printer settings
Curing Temperature
75.0 ºC
Drying Power Leading
0.0 %
Drying Power Trailing
0.0 %
HP Latex Optimizer
28.0 %
Heat Airflow
182.0 mmH2O
Ink Limit
70.0 %
Input Tension
N/A N/m
Load as
PET Film
Mode
20.0 passes CMYKcm 70.0 ink N/A
Output Tension
N/A N/m
Vacuum
10.0 mmH2O

Stinky Prints

Awesome, thanks dypinc! Wish I would have seen this earlier. After wasting a ton of media to create our own profile, came in with similar numbers to what you've posted except was able to bring the temp down to 160F (71C) and use 16 pass. Guessing we can get away with a little cooler as we are high altitude (6300ft / 1920m) with extremely low humidity. Ink seems properly cured even at the 80% coverage level.

Magnum did have their own profiles created for in-house use, but as you mention, they will work with Onyx, not Flexi. For whatever reason, their rep wasn't able to get us the values we needed to build our own profile. We did search HP also, but no joy there either.

These will be a mix of indoor and outdoor graphics, will update once we print and try to roll this out onto our magnetic substrate. Hopefully the material will retain it's dimensional stability with the lower curing temp. Also have a sample of Ultraflex Signetics Ltx on the way. Thanks all for the advice and will update once we install today.

Last edited:

Stinky Prints

The revised profile information helped but didn't fully solve our wrinkling problem. Had the same problem with Ultraflex Signetix ltx also. We are going to try a product called Legacy from Sonoma Graphics Products. We were initially having issues with the profile they supplied, but are going to give it another attempt.

Anybody smarter than me have luck with large graphics printed on magnetic receptive material on an HP Latex? If so, what material? Thanks!

dypinc

The revised profile information helped but didn't fully solve our wrinkling problem. Had the same problem with Ultraflex Signetix ltx also. We are going to try a product called Legacy from Sonoma Graphics Products. We were initially having issues with the profile they supplied, but are going to give it another attempt.

Anybody smarter than me have luck with large graphics printed on magnetic receptive material on an HP Latex? If so, what material? Thanks!

If you can't get the heat low enough and speed slow enough and be able to cure it without wrinkling then it is just not going to be compatible with your latex printer.

flyplainsdrifta

Could try and contact the people at New Life Magnetics. They might have something for you.

came here to say this. have had great success with new life's mag material. the multilayer mag sandwich (cant remember exact product name) and their spider mat are sick stuff to work with that ive had good success with on our 560.

ikarasu

hah, I wish I read this long ago.

We just dealt with the same thing. the only way we could get it to work was to print it at 16-20 pass with such low heat - Makes no sense. I'm sure this stuff is great on solvents... but not so much on latex printers. We tried 3 diff brands that said they were latex compatible... tried their profiles.... went to our supplier who tried on their machine, and nothing.

We ended up printing on $100 roll of vinyl, applying it to .020 magnetic and attaching it that way... We were thinking of bringing in even thinner magnet to make it as light as the signetics stuff, but for the jobs we use sticking .020 onto a magnetic base works just fine and we dont have to spend 20 hours to print a roll... print a full roll on cheap vinyl, laminate it onto magnet and cut it up. We wasted rolls of the stuff on our latex when we tried.