• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Main Board FUSE for Roland Versacamm SP-540, 540v

phototec

Has anyone ever replaced the SMT surface mount FUSE for the Roland SP540?

A surface mount fuse is NOT trivial soldering work. Although you can use a regular fine-point soldering iron, it is highly recommended that you use a SMT resoldering station to remove the bad one and a regulated soldering iron to reattach the new fuse. If you have too high of a heat for too long, you may trip the new fuse which means you'll need to get another one.

If you have or not, what are your thoughts, how does the price compare?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370295776873&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

:help

signage

If you know the value for these fuses and you can find a bussmann fuse with the same values you can move these to external/replacible fuses! All you need to do is run a small wire to a fuse holder to accecpt the replacement fuse and solder those wires onto the original fuse points!

phototec

If you know the value for these fuses and you can find a bussmann fuse with the same values you can move these to external/replacible fuses! All you need to do is run a small wire to a fuse holder to accecpt the replacement fuse and solder those wires onto the original fuse points!

That is an excellent idea, makes a lot of sense because I have read many posts on here about the fuse being blown and needing replacement.

So has anyone on here replaces the fuse, and if so what is the VALUE of the fuse?

Thanks

Paradoxgraphics

I went to radio shack andbought fuse holders with wires and soldered then to the original fuse mounting, I did this VERY dainty . Also had to replace 2 transistors. They weren't toobad butneed tomake sureyou don't get them too hot. The original head fuses are 250 v 1.6 amps. Hope this helps.

player

I replaced mine. I was in a pinch and found an old TV repair guy in a small town that had some glass fuses with the proper values. I soldered wires onto the existing fuses on the board, and then made a fuse holder and taped it to the bottom of the inside by the main board. I did not take out the main board to do this.

Did you blow a fuse Jon?

Hey that eBay site is MacMedia. I wonder if they know Kent?

phototec

I replaced mine. I was in a pinch and found an old TV repair guy in a small town that had some glass fuses with the proper values. I soldered wires onto the existing fuses on the board, and then made a fuse holder and taped it to the bottom of the inside by the main board. I did not take out the main board to do this.

Did you blow a fuse Jon?

Hey that eBay site is MacMedia. I wonder if they know Kent?

NO, I have NOT blown a fuse yet, thanks to this site I and training from my previous employers, Dell Computers and Texas Instruments, I know all about powering OFF all electrical equipment, grounding the FRAME and wearing a STATIC a wrist strap before working on any electrical parts inside my printer (or computer).

I just don't want to get caught with my pants down, I want to have spare fuses on hand (military training), as backup just in case!

Glad you were able to fix your fuse, do you know how you blew your fuse, printer still plugged in and main power on?

player

Nope. I had both powers off and unplugged for 10 minutes, turned it on and off at the main. I pulled the ribbon cable out of the print head to switch them. When I turned it on it had some strange warning. I bought a larger glass style fuse, made a holder and soldered wires directly onto the bad fuse on the main board.

When my tech came around to look at some other issue, he checked the transistors on the main board to see if I blew any of them, which I had not. There must be a way to switch the ribbon cables on the heads somewhere else so not to blow the fuses.