• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Major malfunction - Need emergency help!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I booted up shop computer this morning and got an unsettling surprise. I can't open ANYTHING on it. Every program I try brings up a window telling me the program needs to be reinstalled, or some variant of that message. I've got a paid antivirus/spyware program running that I also can't open to begin a scan.

Nothing out of the ordinary has been done with this computer recently. No new programs installed - no downloads. I've got to get to the bottom of this and have no idea what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

jtrainor56

Download rkill.com and malwarebytes from mybleepingcomputer.com from another PC and save them to a USB drive. Run the installed for Malwarebytes and install to the USB device. Plug the USB device into the problem PC and try starting in safe mode. Once in safe mode run rkill first and then run the quick scan in Malwarebytes.

R08

Have you tried rebooting again. Sounds oversimplistic but sometimes it's all it needs.

kffernandez

personally, i would suggest not touching it. bring it to somebody who knows how to properly troubleshoot it. it might just be a simple problem with a simple solution. messing around with it might just make it worse.

kelly

kelly

choucove

If you are trying to open up programs (such as starting Internet Explorer, Quickbooks, etc.) and are getting an error that "Run32dll.exe application not found" then you indeed have been infected by a virus. I can give you a link that will solve the issue if this is indeed the error message that you have coming up.

LoneRanger01

You have not given us enough info.........What OS, What kind of computer, does windows open and run, what is the exact error message. Sorry but just saying my car wont start does not help.....

choucove

rkill and malwarebytes are always great tools to use and 90% of the time that is also what I use to help eliminate malware infections on a system. However, if this is indeed the virus that hides .exe defaults then these tools will have no use at all. In fact, they won't run even in safe mode most of the time.

I've seen this virus on numerous computers very recently, it seems to be a virus that's been around for a few years now but is just now really becoming rampant. The virus works much the way as your average fake alert smitfraud/virtumonde that advertises "You are infected" blah blah and wants you to buy their protection to remove all these (fake) viruses.

Now, a lot if times protected computers with current antivirus don't even see this message because their anti-virus actually catches it early and can remove it just fine, but that's the problem. When the virus becomes active (or sometimes I've seen it when it is removed by an anti-virus application) then it changes the Default Settings and Programs configuration in the registry so that no .exe file type can operate because effectively the critical Windows file RUN32DLL.EXE has been "lost" to the system through this change in the Default Settings and Programs configuration change.

If you are trying to open programs, including your antivirus program, and are getting an error that RUN32DLL.EXE cannot be found, this is most likely what has happened. Your anti-virus software will not be able to fix it, but fixing the issue is relatively easy it just requires a simple download script which repairs the modified registry lines to return the Default Settings and Programs configuration to normal.