• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Major Merger...maybe

qmr55

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...t-to-block-proposed-at-t-t-mobile-merger.html

What are your thoughts? They have been talking about this for a long time now and its process is moving at a near snail pace. Now that the U.S. Department of Justice filed an antitrust lawsuit, there isn't much hope left for AT&T.

But what if this did happen, it could very likely trigger a merge between Sprint & Verizon narrowing the cell phone world down to basically two companies and no competition in possibly the most consumer unfriendly market right now. :banghead:

Thoughts?

jayhawksigns

They could create those jobs without the merger if they chose to.

I thought what I read elsewhere was that they were going to bring those 5000 jobs back from overseas. They are just trying to make the DOJ look bad.

HulkSmash

They've been trying to do this for years under the table. Apparently they're having a major issue because if they merge they will become a cell phone monolopy so im not sure the courts are letting them do it.
so they're trying everything they can to make it look good.

qmr55

They've been trying to do this for years under the table. Apparently they're having a major issue because if they merge they will become a cell phone monolopy so im not sure the courts are letting them do it.
so they're trying everything they can to make it look good.

Yup court says they will be violating antitrust law and make service worse, offer less to the consumers and drive prices up. They don't want this to happen at all..

Craig Sjoquist

Could care less I don't have enough to invest in the stock market.

Even if I did it will still not make me any money or cost unless I invest.

So any merger is just that, when it's gets to my pocket book then.

TheSnowman

Cell phone mergers only make things better if you ask me. There used to be 100's of little town company's when they first started, and you'd drop calls all the time. Granted, not as many people had phones, and coverage in general wasn't as good, but generally, each time one merges, you get more towers with that combo. I think it would be great if there was only two or three.

I'm with AT&T now, and love my service. I like T-Mobile's pricing structure, and other things they offer, but their service is very spotty around here, so no one has them. You combine those two, and it's great for me.

People either love or hate their cell provider, seems like there isn't many in between, but for me, I love the idea.

qmr55

Cell phone mergers only make things better if you ask me. There used to be 100's of little town company's when they first started, and you'd drop calls all the time. Granted, not as many people had phones, and coverage in general wasn't as good, but generally, each time one merges, you get more towers with that combo. I think it would be great if there was only two or three.

I'm with AT&T now, and love my service. I like T-Mobile's pricing structure, and other things they offer, but their service is very spotty around here, so no one has them. You combine those two, and it's great for me.

People either love or hate their cell provider, seems like there isn't many in between, but for me, I love the idea.

I have Verizon and love it! The problem I see arising is with like I said when they merge will Verizon merge with Sprint? Then only thing that will happen is prices will sky rocket...as if cell phones aren't already too expensive. :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, instead of Ma Bell, it will be Ma Cell ?? :Oops:

I really would just like to go back to using phones for communications and not toting a Dick Tracy Wrist Watch communication center around with me..............................

Can ya hear me now ?? :popcorn:

visual800

I think its disturbing a to allow a compnay get this large. and IF At&t does buy them out or merge it will just be a matter of years before they crash. Compnaies are getting too large. As far as all this BS about creating ner jobs wthe! they will always have india tech support, at&t does suck at support.

I have at&t and I have no problems with service. I have come to accept that some areas aqre covered some or not its that way with all cell devices. Every now and again they will screw up my billing and i call to call Hasheesh and ask wth is up!

SignaramaFL

Everyone says that it will turn into a monopoly. I rather disagree with this, yes it will merge two bigger companies but there are a ton of small companies doing just fine out there... Cellular one, Boost Mobile, Simple mobile... and that's just to name a few. But I personally don't want the merge to happen... I like t-mobile just the way it is.

animenick65

I think this will be bad. T-mobile is a great low cost choice, and with this merger that will dissappear.

AT&T has laid of thousands over the years after mergers. Adding 5k jobs after a merger? Not likely. There is bound to be thousands of overlapping jobs that will be cut.

Locals Find!

Everyone says that it will turn into a monopoly. I rather disagree with this, yes it will merge two bigger companies but there are a ton of small companies doing just fine out there... Cellular one, Boost Mobile, Simple mobile... and that's just to name a few. But I personally don't want the merge to happen... I like t-mobile just the way it is.

Did you know boost mobile is owned by Sprint? A lot of the so called smaller companies are actually subsidiaries of the bigger companies or lease bandwidth on the towers from the big boys.

The only real independent I know of is Metro PCS they actually own their own towers. Limited service areas but they are fast growing due to no contracts & fair pricing.

HulkSmash

you just contradicted yourself like 3 times.

SignaramaFL

Did you know boost mobile is owned by Sprint? A lot of the so called smaller companies are actually subsidiaries of the bigger companies or lease bandwidth on the towers from the big boys.

The only real independent I know of is Metro PCS they actually own their own towers. Limited service areas but they are fast growing due to no contracts & fair pricing.

I'm not sure about Boost and Cell One, but I know that Simple Mobile does buy there 'air time' from tmobile to use their towers, but they are not a subsidiary from T-Mobile.

and Colorado - Sorry let me clear that up a bit... I don't care about the merger politically, nor business wise. But personally I like t-mobile the way it is.

CheapVehicleWrap

Aren't cellphones just a fad, like pockets? My smartphone was basically useless until the rotary dialer app came out. Thinking of getting a landline anyway, they're pretty solid now.

signswi

If AT&T merges with T-Mobile it will be the only GSM carrier in the US. That's a relatively clear cut reason to disallow the merger for anti-trust purposes. CDMA has more competition.