• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making a bedazzled prop?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We're making a prop/photo backdrop for a NYE party, similar to the attached image found online.

We're going to use foamcore w/ reinforcing on the back for the structure, but I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way of making this thing "sparkly". Is it as simple of laying down a thin layer of glue then pouring glitter all over it? I'm a little concerned about adding too much moisture to the foamcore, we all know how much that stuff can warp. I also don't want anything that will rub off when handled and get all over the place. This is definitely not something I have experience with, I'm not much of a bedazzler myself.

Keeping in mind this thing will need to be packed flat, shipped to customer's location, unpacked and assembled, and will only be up for MAX 24hrs - how would you approach this?

Edited to add: I just noticed the description on the website and it says "printed glitter design"... I wonder how they achieve this. Maybe I could sprinkle some glitter into the flatbed's ink lines? :D

https://www.shindigz.com/silver-crescent-moon-prop/p/KSCMPS

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 236

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not just use gator for strength, flatbed print it with sparkly effects, hit it with some spray glue and drizzle fairy dust (glitter) on it and make the framework outta Cor-X ??

That one is mass-produced and costs $160 + shipping. If you got $200 or $225 for a custom made one, you'd be out of it for about $90.

I would NOT use foamcore at all. Just looking at it, dents the sh!t out of it.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Why not just use gator for strength, flatbed print it with sparkly effects, hit it with some spray glue and drizzle fairy dust (glitter) on it and make the framework outta Cor-X ??

That one is mass-produced and costs $160 + shipping. If you got $200 or $225 for a custom made one, you'd be out of it for about $90.

I would NOT use foamcore at all. Just looking at it, dents the sh!t out of it.

Thanks Gino. Budget is not a concern, but timeline is as we're just about to shut down for the holidays. I was just thinking of using foamcore since we have a bunch in stock. It will only be handled once to assemble/install and they like foamcore for their usual props/displays. I'll see if my supplier up the street has any gator board in stock though.

Billct2

There are glitter vinyls. But I'd just go to the local craft supply, Michaels or Hobby Lobby and see what would work.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
There are glitter vinyls. But I'd just go to the local craft supply, Michaels or Hobby Lobby and see what would work.

Thanks Bill, just checked with our local supplier and there are indeed some glitter vinyls/laminates but nothing in stock locally.

Time to head over to Michaels and get some glitter........wish me luck.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
If it were me, I'd print a glittery sparkly looking background on a test piece and stand it up a similar distance as a photo prop would be and take a pic of it and see what it looks like. As you know, most of those prop images are very low resolution, but at distance they look great. You may be overthinking this. If you need to add some glitter spray paint or something to give it more sparkle for the light to reflect from, do that. But start with the end use in mind. And manage your customers expectations also - explain that they don't need the bling/bedazzle to be viewed up close - in the photos it will look great. (Jedi Mind trick #34)

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Since it's foamcore, for added effect punch some small holes in it and string some christmas lights up behind it.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
If it were me, I'd print a glittery sparkly looking background on a test piece and stand it up a similar distance as a photo prop would be and take a pic of it and see what it looks like. As you know, most of those prop images are very low resolution, but at distance they look great. You may be overthinking this. If you need to add some glitter spray paint or something to give it more sparkle for the light to reflect from, do that. But start with the end use in mind. And manage your customers expectations also - explain that they don't need the bling/bedazzle to be viewed up close - in the photos it will look great. (Jedi Mind trick #34)

Thanks for putting this into perspective. Found a nice stock image and some Avery sparkle laminate kicking around. Running a test print now but I think this should work great and avoids the whole glitter fiasco.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Go to the local strip joint and ask the ladies where they get their glitter. Self-dispensing, no adhesive needed and almost impossible to remove.