• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

making a double sided stop sign

gabagoo

I knew before I even attempted this that it would be troublesome. First I took a square and then duplicated and rotated the second square over the first...centred them to each other and ran the weld that only leaves the middle graphic. Designed the stop sign and printed.
Put down the first one on 1/8 pvc ( indoor use), Cut off each edge into the octagon shape. These are double sided. Took the second stop graphic, cut it down to each edge and tried to align it to the reverse side and not one side lines up.... How is this a problem? I consisdered putting a large bleed on the second print but thought there is no way that this won't fit. If both squares were centred how can the graphic from the reverse side not line up? I now have a slight bleed in some areas and some white leaking out in others. For what they are worth I am printing some extra red and will just apply where needed.
I need to know what is the reason this does not work purely from the mathmatical side.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
based on simple geometry you made an error in your rotating or you didn't start with a true square. the process you described would produce what you were attempting to make. there must have been an error in one of your steps.

Z SIGNS

Should have worked.Maybe it was not centered or they were not perfect squares.I would have used a a polygon tool to create it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Or just take two exactly the same size squares, turn one 45º and use your pathfinder and expand tool. It would take about 4 seconds..... without using a calculator.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
...First I took a square and then duplicated and rotated the second square over the first...centred them to each other and ran the weld that only leaves the middle graphic....

Left out a few details.
1. create a true square
2. duplicate the square in place and rotate 45deg.
3. weld the two squares and delete key nodes
4. rotate 67.5deg (135deg/2)

Always bothered me that when using corel's Polygon Tool and setting the number of sides to 8 always defaults to a "rotated" octagon. You have to manually set it straight to get a "stop" sign blank. I made a quick and simple macro to drop the shape on the page as needed.

gabagoo

Or just take two exactly the same size squares, turn one 45º and use your pathfinder and expand tool. It would take about 4 seconds..... without using a calculator.
That is what I did... In my thinking it should have been perfect but possibly signlab has an issue with htis as I know I tried this many years ago and it failed then too.

JR's

I have sign lab 10 and I could do it either way.
It might be something in the settings where it's not making it a true stop sign on your end.

shoresigns

I need to know what is the reason this does not work purely from the mathmatical side.

There is no mathematical reason that the technique you described wouldn't work, therefore there's either a strange bug in your software, or you screwed something up.

Why not do it again and check your measurements at each step to find out at which step the problem appears? Maybe your square isn't square, or maybe somehow you're not rotating around the centre point? Only one way to figure it out.