• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making a Lightbox for a backlite sign?

signmeup

andy, I have several meters and don't think anyone should mess with electricity unless they know what they are doing. I would never ever hook up an electric sign or attempt to repair one. That's what electricians are for. I have no problem with building a sign can and getting it inspected though. It's the inspectors job to make sure I did it right before he approves it.

Like I said andy... after I'm sure the power is cut I'm still paranoid enough to flick a wire with the back of my finger. The guy in WC signguys post above must have forgotten to double check everything.... or else he'd still be alive right?

Not every permitted sign is inspected, not every sign is legal or permitted. Not every Inspector knows electric signs or what to look for, inspectors just do quick look throughs they don't open every panel, every raceway. Inspectors aren't liable for anything, the contractor is.

Some inspectors here just look for UL labels and call it a day.

CheapVehicleWrap

This is why EVERYONE should start playing with electricity at an early age, say 6 or 7 years old. Start with the radio shack kits and work your way up. Someone, a dad or uncle will catch you doing something you shouldn't be and teach you a few things. It may hurt, but then you can decide if you'd like to play/experiment further. Isn't it the same thing with flammables and explosives? I mean guys will be guys right? I didn't shoot myself at age 9 and not recognize! It's this lack of desire to experiment at a young age that creates a world of husbands that literally can't hammer a nail throughout their entire adult lives. As in any field; I have met many an electrician that was a hack. And with driver licenses, I'm SURE you'll ALL agree... that doesn't mean you can drive. I also know experienced non-hack electricians who've take 440v several times.

Last edited:
Take risk, be a daredevil, be a man, be self taught. I've been the daredevil myself, my life has been that way since day one. BUT, I'm going to do it on MY dime and take the risk on my own life alone and not take a risk where it endangers others, or make money where is endangers others.

Be motivated, have drive, it is true there are husbands and MEN who don't even know what the hell a screw driver is or how to use one, but use all that drive/motivation to learn the right way. Don't learn from a hack and get comfortable into developing bad and incorrect habits.

I've met quite a few of installers who have some pretty bad and risky habits on the methods they choose to install/service signs because they learned the wrong or incorrect way, and they continue too. Old habits are hard to change

CheapVehicleWrap

"Old habits are hard to change".

Ain't that the truth!

And if you're not willin to try peein on the 3rd rail, you ain't gonna hammer or screw. (this should get rid of most of em') :) MAN up America! We gotz shee to make,

Last edited:

signmeup

Take risk, be a daredevil, be a man, be self taught. I've been the daredevil myself, my life has been that way since day one. BUT, I'm going to do it on MY dime and take the risk on my own life alone and not take a risk where it endangers others, or make money where is endangers others.

Be motivated, have drive, it is true there are husbands and MEN who don't even know what the hell a screw driver is or how to use one, but use all that drive/motivation to learn the right way. Don't learn from a hack and get comfortable into developing bad and incorrect habits.

I've met quite a few of installers who have some pretty bad and risky habits on the methods they choose to install/service signs because they learned the wrong or incorrect way, and they continue too. Old habits are hard to change
Are they licenced?

signmeup

Whoa!! I just read the post to me at the link in Pat's post above. The one in Techmans sign can tutorial. Here is the post from West coast sign guy,

"LMAO Adrian, your exactly what I'm talking about. Not trying to hide anything from anyone. Why not save yourself more money and build one out of 2"x4"s

Your an industry nightmare. You don't know what the hell your doing, but yet you want to rest the responsibility on someone like an inspector, and for them to tell you how you should be building it?????? Really, their "easy to get along with?" Maybe your town is wired up like Tijuanna."

I can't post to that tutorial but I can post here. WCSG... you have no idea what you're talking about. The rules and regs are different where I live. From reading other posts in this thread it appears that the rules and regs in your own country vary quite widely. You seem to assume that the whole world lives buy whatever rules are in place where you live. Not so. (doesn't mean we're all gonna die) The inspector here will actually inspect the sign (for a fee) as I have politely explained above. You can choose to believe I am lying if you like. (Why do I read your posts as if you sound exactly like Foghorn Leghorn.....)

The best advice to the OP was to check with his local authorities before proceeding.

Whoa!! I just read the post to me at the link in Pat's post above. The one in Techmans sign can tutorial. Here is the post from West coast sign guy,

"LMAO Adrian, your exactly what I'm talking about. Not trying to hide anything from anyone. Why not save yourself more money and build one out of 2"x4"s

Your an industry nightmare. You don't know what the hell your doing, but yet you want to rest the responsibility on someone like an inspector, and for them to tell you how you should be building it?????? Really, their "easy to get along with?" Maybe your town is wired up like Tijuanna."

I can't post to that tutorial but I can post here. WCSG... you have no idea what you're talking about. The rules and regs are different where I live. From reading other posts in this thread it appears that the rules and regs in your own country vary quite widely. You seem to assume that the whole world lives buy whatever rules are in place where you live. Not so. (doesn't mean we're all gonna die) The inspector here will actually inspect the sign (for a fee) as I have politely explained above. You can choose to believe I am lying if you like. (Why do I read your posts as if you sound exactly like Foghorn Leghorn.....)

The best advice to the OP was to check with his local authorities before proceeding.

I re-read the tutorial, and a BIG apology to Techman, he's just trying to help and I came off sort of an ass. Not apologizing to the hacks involved.

But bottom line for you, you seem to be missing the bigger point to all of this on the thread. It doesn't matter what jurisdictions will let anyone do anything they want i.e., take drugs for that matter legally.

YOU seem to just want to take shortcuts, look at standards and codes as obstacles to move around or find a backdoor path. Throughout this whole thread you seem to want to find loopholes. That's just how you come off to me.

This is the EXACT reason why it's useless to pass off or explain to unqualified people, they just want to learn exactly what they want to turn a quick profit or find an easy way without learning the way the professionals did.

I just encourage anyone here who is qualified to stop posting to such threads where it's obvious questions asked are coming from those of unqualified or hack individuals. If it's a fellow qualified professional, then by all means. This forum isn't a trade school.

I would also encourage anyone wanting to get an education about electricity, take a apprenticeship program (ABC) at a Jr. College, LEARN SAFETY! I myself took a few semesters because for years of working with electric signs, though it was somewhat limiting to what I did, I wanted to learn the "whys", which wasn't taught from a place of work. These courses through jr. colleges are relativiely cheap and inexpensive and you will learn a TON. Learn the bigger aspect of electricity and "why" it does what it does, then learn the specialty of electric signs. Electricians don't even know squat when it comes to electric signs and neon, and I hate when they work on them and screw things up.

signmeup

Reading for comprehension's not your strong suit is it.
Try reading my posts more carefully. I do not advocate taking shortcuts or going around regulations to make a fast buck. I also do not advocate taking the online advice of experts who may not know the regulations in all geographical areas. I do advocate checking your local jurisdiction's codes and regulations and following them.

At least you figured out you were being an ass on Techmans tutorial. Glad I could help.