• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making Stencils using Plotter?

slopoke

Does anyone use their vinyl plotter to make stencils? I had a customer bring me a stencil that looks like it was done on a plotter and want's me to make 24 more for him (sign shop that did them before is gone), can that be done? I have a Mimaki CG130-FX that I use for my plotting. If it can be done, what material would you suggest using?

Thanks!

Circleville Signs

I make 1 time use stencils for people all the time out of good old fashioned Oracal 651.

I just make sure they understand that they can use each one once :)

Mosh

"can't you just stencil that on there?" I hate when I hear that. Grimco makes
custome stencils, way better that trying to mess around making one...

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I found some 200 lb paper stock on a roll that works pretty decently for short run stencils, just throw a pen into the plotter and then get out the old straight edge and xacto blade. otherwise I've seen people use polystyrene rather successfully with their cutting blade (to score only ... not to cut all the way through)

slopoke

"can't you just stencil that on there?" I hate when I hear that. Grimco makes
custome stencils, way better that trying to mess around making one...

Grimco was the first place I contacted....due to the small size of the letters (less then 1.5" tall) they suggested I use my plotter. I'll try the .010 styrene, that might be thin enough to work.

I wish I would use a paper product, but these are for using next to storm drains and in our lovely NW fall and winter I don't think they would hold up for even a single use.

CentralSigns

Use Styrene it only comes in a few thicknesses 020 maybe is what I used. the cutter will score all thicknesses. Don't bother double cutting doesn't work. The cutter has to be at about 350lbs or more of force. A 60 degree blade. It cuts most of the way through then you have to fiddle with it to get the pieces out. Don't use a tight pattern. Experiment first. There's a post on it here hit search

Gene@mpls

SSB15100 from Bren Co- have used several rolls- works great. Never had
a complaint. Gene

The 15100 is the size- I buy 15" wide x 100 ft

Browner

SSB15100 from Bren Co- have used several rolls- works great. Never had
a complaint. Gene

The 15100 is the size- I buy 15" wide x 100 ft

Is that 15" punched?

How small can you cut the letters? I've got a customer looking for 0.25" letter height for some MilSpec stuff.

bigben

And what if you use a 200gsm paper roll with the half cut function of the plotter? Just an idea...

Tony McD

The last stencil I made using sandblast mask. Cut two copies, one in reverss and stick them sticky to sticky. Flexible and lays flat.
I wouldn't want to try it with tiny letters though.

signmeup

The last stencil I made using sandblast mask. Cut two copies, one in reverss and stick them sticky to sticky. Flexible and lays flat.
I wouldn't want to try it with tiny letters though.
Now that would be one tough stencil. Good idea.

signmeup

I don't know what brand it is. It has no markings on it. I get it from TCT Graphics in Toronto. It's 2 bucks a yard ish. I don't spray... I use a brush. Latex house paint.