• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Making stickers and cutting

PinballFan

Hello,

I am quite new to the world of sign making, and I have a slightly different use for printer / plotters and hopefully someone can assist in pointing in the right direction.

I am a pinball hobbyist and I am interested in printing pinball playfield overlays - that is a one piece sticker, approximately 36 inches x 18.5".

I have purchased an entry level plotter, an HP Designjet T520 36" model. I use self-adhesive adhesive polypropylene for the media.

This printer is great and meets my needs for printing. However, it does not cut holes that are part of playfields.

As I am not fully aware of what is available, can someone suggest a printer / plotter that prints color as well makes cuts? Is it possible to just get a cutter that can read the printed image on the sticker and allow one to cut holes in the spots designated according to my needs?

I do not require top of the line tools for this particular need. After the sticker is printed and placed on the playield, I will clear coat to add an extra level of protection.

I am not doing a lot of printing, and I do not mind using old or decommissioned printer / plotter / cutter.

I am including an example (low quality) of what I am trying to print as a sticker.

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated. I am including a sample

Thanks!

Pinballfan

Attachments

• Count-Down.jpg
    Count-Down.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 332

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I too am a fan of Pinball! There are printers that can both print and cut - but if you've already got a printer you just need a plotter. Before printing, you would set up your file with a contour cut layer - these would be your cut lines with a spot color assigned as "ContourCut". After printing and (Laminating?) you would put your print through the plotter and it would read registration marks made by the printer and then contour cut in the right places. This is a grossly simplified explanation - wasn't sure how much info you were looking for to get started. The short answer is yes, that can be done :)

PinballFan

I too am a fan of Pinball! There are printers that can both print and cut - but if you've already got a printer you just need a plotter. Before printing, you would set up your file with a contour cut layer - these would be your cut lines with a spot color assigned as "ContourCut". After printing and (Laminating?) you would put your print through the plotter and it would read registration marks made by the printer and then contour cut in the right places. This is a grossly simplified explanation - wasn't sure how much info you were looking for to get started. The short answer is yes, that can be done :)
Based on what I explained, what would you recommend in terms of equipment? I certainly do not want to spend thousands of dollars. If you can suggest something, I can keep my eye open for a used model.

Thanks!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
In the OP it read like you have a plotter and a printer - did I read that wrong? How big (wide) do you want to/need to print?

PinballFan

I ready have an hpjeskjet t520 printer and that's it. My decal size is 36 inches x 18.5 inches.

I can always sell my printer /plotter as I am not certain the best way to go. I would like to have some machine capable of cutting holes or possibly some all in one that can print color and cut out holes.

PinballFan

The Roland BN-20 seems quite expensive for what I am doing. Would it be more cost effective to get a second device that can cut holes into my drawing for me? In this case, which cutter would you recommend?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The Roland BN-20 seems quite expensive for what I am doing. Would it be more cost effective to get a second device that can cut holes into my drawing for me? In this case, which cutter would you recommend?

Literally the first reply to this thread is by me with a suggested cutter which should be able to be found cheaply and does a great job.

burgmurk

your playfield already has the holes right?
i'd just lay the vinyl down then cut by hand. It might sound hard but you get good at it pretty fast.

mark galoob

Why not sub it out to an expert that already has the equipment and knows what they are doing. It will prob cost way less in the long and short run

Billct2

I agree with subbing out the printing/cutting to someone who has the appropriate equipment and material. The most expensive part of that job is the design.

binki

I would sub it out. Spending $20K on a print/cut machine isn't worth it unless you are doing a lot of these.

rvolkers

we have a roland - mimaki and a graphtec 8600 - i say it might be an issue because we have found that doing a print and then a cut/laminate on the roland over 24 inches there was creeping and the registration marks did not read correct - we bought the graphtec because of that being a consistent problem. we pretty much use the roland these days ONLY for our apparel vinyl especially thermo films and never run things out over 20 x 30 inches long and CUT only! -- as said it may be an issue i did not say it will absolutely be one - i would advise that the roland might do the job - THAT being said i would make sure - given that it sounds like the job will be printed and i would assume be laminated to keep the print from failing during pinball playing - a NEW roland GX-24 might handle it! - but i would be on safe side do to all the cuts that i saw :)

rvolkers

i just went back and read (clear coating will be done)! so again a GX-24 might be fine -- the GX 24 should have come with 3 wheels instead of 2 - to help registered cuts