• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

making template help

dortonracing

Ok i know this should be pretty easy to do, but just cant get it perfect. So my question is how do i make this and make it perfect? What program would you probably be best and easiest. here is what im doing making a number plate to go on this wing.

Attachments

• Photo0372.jpg
    Photo0372.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Photo0374.jpg
    Photo0374.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Photo0378.jpg
    Photo0378.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Photo0376.jpg
    Photo0376.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 133

dman0427

Take the best possible pics square to the object (not even at the slightest angle)
Measure,
Import,
Trace,
Cut vinyl, trial and error, make adjustments till its right.

Thats the only way I would know how to to it.

I cant tell how small or large the objects are, but if they're small enough to fit on the scanner do it that way.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Flat objects you can trace pretty easily and if they are shot from close up you are ok. The problem with 3d objects and anything large is camera distortion. It will never be "perfect". The 2 outer edges of a photo are farther away from the center of a pic so will always be a bit smaller then the area in the center. Also your sides will never be parallel to one another

You can trace but will have to take measurements and adjust after the fact. The wing you can probably draw as a series of rectangles of exact measurements. Much more accurate than a trace

I can guarantee that if you trace from a photo it will never be perfect. The larger the object the less precise it will be

HeavyHitter

You asked this same question in an earlier thread. Nothing has changed. Make a tracing on masking, scan it, scale it, draw, print, cut. I posted pics of some of the tracings I made in that thread.

Here is the process (brief overview):

1. use masking paper to trace the shape.

2. measure and scan (or take a picture)

3. scale to size

4. trace (vector)

5. cut sample to ensure fit on plotter

6. create artwork template

7. layout custom artwork

8. apply cut path from step 5.

9. print, lam, cut

10. enjoy

Programs I would use for above

Photoshop
Illustrator
FlexiSign Pro

You could use something different.

HeavyHitter

Flat objects you can trace pretty easily and if they are shot from close up you are ok. The problem with 3d objects and anything large is camera distortion. It will never be "perfect". The 2 outer edges of a photo are farther away from the center of a pic so will always be a bit smaller then the area in the center. Also your sides will never be parallel to one another

You can trace but will have to take measurements and adjust after the fact. The wing you can probably draw as a series of rectangles of exact measurements. Much more accurate than a trace

I can guarantee that if you trace from a photo it will never be perfect. The larger the object the less precise it will be

I agree measure the rectangles. Simple enough. I would only trace from a "tracing" not a pic. I normally make tracing onto tracing paper or masking then scan. If too big to fit in the scanner I tape to the wall and fire off a pic. I have used the same process to laser cut complex metal shapes for custom built vehicles. Point is the process works for more than just vinyl

Dan

HeavyHitter

Here is the Losi 1/18 scale Rock Crawler.

I have the scans of the tracings somewhere. I will look for them.

Here is the print and the install

Attachments

• BTF_LosiMRCwrap.jpg
    BTF_LosiMRCwrap.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 121
  • LosiMini1.jpg
    LosiMini1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 107

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I agree measure the rectangles. Simple enough. I would only trace from a "tracing" not a pic. I normally make tracing onto tracing paper or masking then scan. If too big to fit in the scanner I tape to the wall and fire off a pic. I have used the same process to laser cut complex metal shapes for custom built vehicles. Point is the process works for more than just vinyl

Dan

You wouldn't believe the number of people that don't understand why a tracing from a digital pic (camera) is never exact

HeavyHitter

You wouldn't believe the number of people that don't understand why a tracing from a digital pic (camera) is never exact

Round lens.... flat print. You would think it is easy to get, but I have people send me pics all the time that are taken wrong. Just because a scale is taped to it does not mean you can use the image.

Dan

Rev Designs

my best method for smaller to medium sized things are.. make a tape outline if the object. once you have done that get some static cling material and print yourself an 1/8th inch grid with somehow to distinguish the inch lines. lay the taped outline on the desk in front of your computer with the grid overlaid. Us the same grid in whatever program you are using (i use illustrator). Use the bezier curve tool to map out the outline using the grid as a reference. This equals a relatively precise outline and is much cleaner than an auto trace of a scanned image.

hope this helps

HeavyHitter

my best method for smaller to medium sized things are.. make a tape outline if the object. once you have done that get some static cling material and print yourself an 1/8th inch grid with somehow to distinguish the inch lines. lay the taped outline on the desk in front of your computer with the grid overlaid. Us the same grid in whatever program you are using (i use illustrator). Use the bezier curve tool to map out the outline using the grid as a reference. This equals a relatively precise outline and is much cleaner than an auto trace of a scanned image.

hope this helps

I never use the auto trace feature. I agree tracing it out makes for a much cleaner fit.

Something else you can do. You can cut some squares on your plotter to a know dim. Stick one on the paper you are scanning. It is easy to scale to size on smaller objects with a know size on the page. In most cases a ruler in the picture does the trick for me.

TresL

Can't use auto trace for these.
Trace by hand in ILL and cut, test fit then modify.

Dorton, did you get my last email about the package?