• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making text on a angle with a wave

J

john1

Knep

not sure in AI...but in flexi and corel its pretty simple, convert the text to curves and then do an envelope on it and it should give you what you need...

Vinylman

In Illustrator, you chose "type on a path" from one of the fly out menus in the "type" selection tools area.

The first thing you need to do is choose the pen tool, { or make a shape that you want the type to follow} and create the shape you want the type to follow.

Then use the type on a path tool.

Once you have the "TYPE" you want, and BEFORE converting it to outlines, make any adjustments to size, location on the line, etc.

Then with the type highlighted go under the "TYPE" menu at the top of the page is a drop down menu offering you various options for aligning the type.
You can experiment from this point on as to what you want to create.

Hope this helps.

J

john1

Thank you, The text on path worked perfect.

Now how would you do it for lets say text with a thin line above and below the text that flows with the lettering though?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
When you create a path for the text to follow make sure you also create stroked lines above and/or below the text. That way when you apply the distortion/envelope tool, make sure both the text and lines are selected so all are distorted/curved at the same time. Alternately you can go in by hand and draw a path that follows the curvature of the text

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
example

Attachments

• SAMPLE.jpg
    SAMPLE.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 119

Malkin

Eric, in my older copy of Illy (10) when I use the text on path tool, the text is generally perpendicular to the path. The vertical strokes of the letters do not stay vertical (like they have in your example). Is there an option in the newer versions for that?

I can do it easily using Omega when needed.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I don't recall the options in v10, but my sample was done using the envelope distort tool. Text on a path generally follows the path and will not result in the vertical sides as shown on my sample. Even in newer versions of Illy will not produce these results when using text on a path. You must use the envelope function

10sacer

Text on path

Way back in my younger days when Postscript was just invented - there was a program for the Mac called Typestyler.

It would do it for you automatically. I think its still available and relatively inexpensive.

It has tons of presets to generate all kinds of funky type scenarios.

http://www.typestyler.com/gallery.html

Sean

Malkin

I don't recall the options in v10, but my sample was done using the envelope distort tool. Text on a path generally follows the path and will not result in the vertical sides as shown on my sample. Even in newer versions of Illy will not produce these results when using text on a path. You must use the envelope function

Ok, thanks for the info! I'll try it out...

saktrnch

Eric, in my older copy of Illy (10) when I use the text on path tool, the text is generally perpendicular to the path. The vertical strokes of the letters do not stay vertical (like they have in your example). Is there an option in the newer versions for that?

With the text selected, can you go to object>transform>shear?

saktrnch

Malkin

The 2 on the left use the Path Type Tool, the 2 on the right I applied a 20 deg. horizontal shear. It sort of works for the straight line, but not so much on the curved line.

I still need to play with the envelope function...

Attachments

• Illy Text Path.jpg
    Illy Text Path.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 128

cartar929

You don't really need to type on a path. There is another way to do it.

This is in Illustrator CS3
1. Create your type and whatever graphic element you want around it.
2. Select it all, and group them together.
3. With everything selected you want to warp go to: effect > warp (then choose the style you want to warp your selection)
4. Check the preview box to be on so you can see how your selection is being effected.
5. Click ok and your manipulation will take effect.
6. You can also warp your previous manipulation to compound effects if you need to.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 118
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 115
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 128
  • ex4.jpg
    ex4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 122

Vinylman

You don't really need to type on a path. There is another way to do it.

This is in Illustrator CS3
1. Create your type and whatever graphic element you want around it.
2. Select it all, and group them together.
3. With everything selected you want to warp go to: effect > warp (then choose the style you want to warp your selection)
4. Check the preview box to be on so you can see how your selection is being effected.
5. Click ok and your manipulation will take effect.
6. You can also warp your previous manipulation to compound effects if you need to.

The problem with your suggestion, is that the effect you created can not be "cut" with a plotter because it is an "envelope" NOT a true vector piece of artwork.

Though you could print your example, if I am understanding the example you posted, it is NOT plot-able.
There in lies the problem of creating artwork only from a designers point of view, without bringing it into a venue such as the sign business where many sign folks still rely heavily upon the plotter to create their finished work.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
The problem with your suggestion, is that the effect you created can not be "cut" with a plotter because it is an "envelope" NOT a true vector piece of artwork.

Though you could print your example, if I am understanding the example you posted, it is NOT plot-able.
There in lies the problem of creating artwork only from a designers point of view, without bringing it into a venue such as the sign business where many sign folks still rely heavily upon the plotter to create their finished work.

There in lies another problem, not knowing your software...
If you "expand" it, it will cut on a plotter....

Vinylman

There in lies another problem, not knowing your software...
If you "expand" it, it will cut on a plotter....

Rick:

THANKS, I have been using Illustrator since 1988, and I never fail to be amazed at how many of the features that STILL escape my observation.

I used to belong to a Mac Users group about 18-20 tears ago, and one of the members was a High School graphics instructor told us that most users of any design program only tap into 15-20% of the capabilities.
And I have found that to be true over these many years.
Again, thanks for the "new" tid bit.:thankyou: