• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making the change to Latex from solvent

Rosco88

Anybody please help!! My Production manager is a negative nancy and it is killing me:banghead:. If anybody could outline the pros and cons of the new HP L26500 I would be much appreciated!!

:bushmill:Irish whiskey :rock-n-roll:on!!!

jhanson

What are you using right now? It always helps to have a baseline to start from.

HP's web site is also a good resource. They've done plenty of comparative studies with solvent printers.

Odor is going to be the #1 thing you'll miss about your solvent printer (kidding!) The only time you'll smell a latex printer running is if you're using inexpensive banner vinyl, which outgasses plasticizers when heated to the latex cure temps.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
What are the main applications your doing and how much production are you doing, Im the first guy to say latex is fantastic but its not the end all to machines. Its great for alot of applications and not so great for bigger production companies who really need alot of speed.

Rosco88

We currently operate with a 9000S but the print heads are starting to fail requiring a boatload of time in strong recoveries, cleanings and changing settings to just produce something that is satisfactory. Most of our production is banners, signs, and posters. Replacing all the heads would cost close to 12,000 just in parts and then paying someone an arm and a leg to install. Putting anymore money into this thing is like milking a dead cow, pointless and just wrong. If anyone is using the latest Latex please inform me of what the worst things are about it and how you have overcome them would be great. Thanks!

HulkSmash

We currently operate with a 9000S but the print heads are starting to fail requiring a boatload of time in strong recoveries, cleanings and changing settings to just produce something that is satisfactory. Most of our production is banners, signs, and posters. Replacing all the heads would cost close to 12,000 just in parts and then paying someone an arm and a leg to install. Putting anymore money into this thing is like milking a dead cow, pointless and just wrong. If anyone is using the latest Latex please inform me of what the worst things are about it and how you have overcome them would be great. Thanks!

the hp 9000s suck. I have 2 of them. A year ago i converted to latex.. best decision ever. I save so much in material cost, and ink cost it's stupid.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i switched a year ago (25500), and would never go back.

ink cost are higher than solvent, but daily maintence is gone.

i probably spent $2000 more in ink this year, but saved hours/days/weeks of aggravation.

only wish i would have switched earlier

jhanson

We have an LX850 at our shop (probably not exactly the latex you were looking for, heh) and so far the main issues we've had with it are:

1. Printing on very open mesh materials fails -- if the mesh is too open, the temperature sensors don't function correctly; however, I don't think the L25500 or L26500 have mesh kits anyway.

2. Ink stretchability on fabric fails miserably. Bright colored prints look great on many fabrics, but if you try to get heavy, dark colors (e.g. for backlit fabrics) the ink simply cannot take the abuse necessary just to handle and sew the fabric.

However, most solvent printers (like the 9000S) can't run open mesh or normal fabrics anyway, so these issues are really irrelevant for most latex customers. It's a workhorse for normal banner and adhesive decal materials, and works well with a lot of specialty materials like Rexam paper, wallpaper, and other materials that wouldn't work well with solvent inks.

StarSign

Up until a year ago we ran a Roland 540, then we added the L25500 thinking we would keep both running..... the Roland is now a paper weight.

javagod

Manager
I've got a HP26500 in the box waiting for install next week! Replacing a Mutoh Toucan LT that's almost 7 years old.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Up until a year ago we ran a Roland 540, then we added the L25500 thinking we would keep both running..... the Roland is now a paper weight.

i did the same thing, sold one of my rolands when i bought the HP, keep one for "backup" purposes.... sold it 4 months later :)