• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making The Next Step

junery

hi all i havea question for the expert here i know there are a lot here
ok im thinking to get a cutter but i would really like to get roland i never try any cutter but i seen a lot of people here have that brand
but i have mac and i don't know if roland works with mac
any of you can just advice me about what to get that is compatible with my mac
im thinking to get cutter and software

thanks nad god bless you

S

Sign-Man Signs

Since you're just starting, I would suggest one from JSI for beginners. Comes with software for about $400.00 dollars. Check them out on Ebay under (plotter cutter) search. If you go production, you'll need a brand name like Rolland,Graphtec,Suma etc.

DRPSignsNGrafix

I second what sign-man says. If you've never done it get your self a very inexpensive one, and then as you find you want to stay it with and step up to production you need to get yourself a good one. The software is what matters for PC or MAC. You will be just fine.

FatCat

FWIW - I run a Mac G5 with a Roland CX-300 using SignCut software. It's a subscription based software, but it works flawlessly with my cutter.

gpzjack

I started with a cheap one off of ebay and now use it as my backup. Nice way to get started.

junery

when u say cheap one from ebay are you talking about those cutter for 399.00 cutters
like us cutter do they work fine

geb

If you buy good name equipment, Roland, Summa, Graphtec, Anagraph, ioline smart trac, they will have a good resale value and be a quality and efficient part of your business. The stuff on ebay is a crapshoot. Resale value is minimal or non existant.

and we haven't mentioned software, compatable with quality equipment, crapshoot with ebay stuff in my opinion.

George

signmeup

Honestly!....how much resale value do you need on $279 plotter??
Buy a Summa and sell it the next day. I bet you lose more than the price of the cheap plotter.

Adrian

Bogie

also a suggestion i would lose the txting typing mode it is irritating and hard to read and we are communicators not txtrs so how we write spell etc is a very important part of your image do you know what i mean

junery

got it bogie sorry
im sorry you are right this is not any chat room
ok so im going to get roland i think is a good brand is it
thanks i really want to get in this kind bussiness and is a good start begining with you guys thanks so much and god bless you

Ken

Nery, if you have your heart set on the GX 24, go for it. Mac will work.
I think others suggested the less expensive machines for level-entry effort, but seems to me you are determined..might as well get a good machine. I'm still using my Creation P-Cut ( 24 in) but I would have been better to get Roland or Graphtec. Since I have a versacamm now..I can use that for longer runs of vinyl cutting when necessary.
Cheers!
Ken

chorca

I recently (about a month ago) got a GX-24 to get myself started in this fun stuff. Really the only stuff that i've had to learn is stuff you'll have to figure out on any cutter, such as what downforces and speeds to use, how small you can cut, and other things like that. Other than that, it's been a great machine!

I bought mine with resale in mind as well.. just in case the business venture didn't pan out i'd be able to dump it all without much of a loss.