• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making the switch

Biker Scout

In 21 years, I've never had a mac that needed anything "to repair or be solved" that I didn't have a hand at messing it up in the first place. I want my computer to just work. Not work on it... it's not my muscle car project.

I have a friend who does the whole build a computer every other month thing... I'm not into that side of computers. I'm sure if I was, I wouldn't be very artistic. :cool: Different half of the brain likes different stuff.

(gawd, I can't believe I just posted something that said 21 Years! Oh man... this sucks. I'm actually getting older)

FatCat

Mac user since 1994 when I started doing design and electronic prepress. Worked with both Macs and PC's and still do to this day. The RIP for my printer is a PC running Wasatch, all my design stuff is on the mac where I also run VMWare Fusion with Windows XP for my Quickbooks and the occasional MS Office file.

Deaton Design

I started out on a mac classic many years ago. Thing was like a little kids tv, but really was a great little computer. Used typestyler to learn layout. That was also a great program. Went on to a mac 8500 that I made into a G3. It still works fine. I now have a 24" imac at home that I do all my artwork jobs on, using illustrator and photoshop to scan and digitize. I have a pc at the shop to run my plotter and my cutting program. I use both systems, but I dont know about running paralells on my mac, due to viruses and spyware getting into the system.

sinetist

Been a mac user since I won a performa a long time ago. It only took a day to see why mac users were such "fanboys". I'd never consider switching back to a PC.

Mainframe

If you get a virus on the pc side of a Mac, you can just reformat the partition & reinstall windows to get rid of it, a pc virus doesn't affect the Mac side

iSign

used Macs over 20 years ago, and exclusively for 5 years, & then I learned to adjust to working on & running Adobe software on PC's. Haven't needed a Mac for anything since. Still don't. i don't hate 'em, don't love 'em, don't need 'em. Gimmee one, I'll use it. Had a G5 for a while... returned it... just no need for it, as my PC's had everything covered already. My 10 PC's have served me extremely well & I've never had a virus on any of them. John Deaton, go ahead and run windows on your mac... it's not like a virus just jumps right off the windows logo... if you don't screw up, you won't get a virus.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I like the new 27" IMac, but I can't stand the glare that the Imacs have but I like the rich colors. Glare may not be a problem with you, but it's usually a problem with me so I would not get one unless I hooked up a 30" Cinema Display to it..

I currently design on a 17" MacBook Pro using an external keyboard and mouse, and I have a 30" Cinema Display hooked up to it. I run XP through Fusion and that takes care of my Corel and AutoCad. I have a G5 tower that is my server and I do a second back up to an external drive weekly and keep it out of the house. My PC is a Dell, runs great but I think it's because it's not online at all. It rarely gets used. My accounting is done on a MacBook.

I am saving for a MacPro so I can hook up 2-30" displays and a Cintiq 21X tablet. Since most of my presentations start out as drawings, it make more sense to directly draw in the computer. I'm also toying around with 3d presentations. I am not going to be doing them, but will need the computing power and programs to tweak drawings in case I need to adjust things instead of going back and forth with a freelancer.

I started on PC, ended up with Macs on the last 4 jobs. I have been an exclusive Mac designer for 11 years, mostly because the majority of environmental graphic designers use Macs. There was a difference for me, mutliple restarts on the PC's, viruses, multiple crashing in a day, the Macs then were way more stable. I don't know much about the difference now but I do have a PC and my MacBook Pro that runs XP through Fusion. Fusion was highly suggested by multiple mac techs. Not one person suggested Parallels.

But if they WERE sexual partners... which would you rather have??? The one that is clean, streamlined, beautiful, and easy to get along with...

or........ (wait for it.........)

....the one that's infected with viruses and stuffed with samples left behind by a plethora of hopeful suitors?

Sorry, don't take me too seriously... it's been a long week!

too funny...
what if you have both???:doh:

JoshLoring

This whole forumn concludes why you should by a pc... 8 core mac for 8000$

16 core 32gb ram pc on 64bit, but with 3 terabyte drives and ridiculous video cards for under 5500.... To even come close to a 16 core your at 15k plus for a mac.

Math says... Pc

..and as for virus, any real designer leaves Internet and email to a 2nd computer leaving no chance for viruses on their design computer anyhow.