• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Malware virus targeting the Mac

cgsigns_jamie

OOOO.... I'm scared....

Just like with Windows... common sense would prevent you from being "infected"

The good news? So far it doesn't appear that the malicious MacDefender app does much, other than attempt to scare people into forking over their credit card numbers. It can even be easily removed:

To ensure you do not automatically download the app, uncheck the following: Safari > Preferences > General > uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading."

Searching for the application and deleting it directly may fail, saying the app is in use.

To stop it running, check Activity Monitor (in Applications > Utilities) and disable anything that relates to MacDefender.

Look in /Library/StartupItems and, same place, LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons for references to the malware app.

Once quit, head to the Applications folder and drag the MacDefender app to the trash, then delete trash.

To ensure all references to the app are cleared, run a search using Spotlight and delete all MacDefender references you find.

Rooster

20+ years of mac use and I've still never had a virus.

It took less than 24 hours when I had a PC set-up at home for it to be infected and hacked into.

What me worry?

ellsmako

20+ years of mac use and I've still never had a virus.

It took less than 24 hours when I had a PC set-up at home for it to be infected and hacked into.

What me worry?
I guess you forgot about Symantec sam antivirus for the mac, common sense prevails