• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Managing a business thats overloaded with work

TimToad

Then you lower the bar a little and reach out to the art department at your local high school, or closest community college. This work we do isn't the most glamorous or filled with deep graphic design opportunities everyday, but it has enough to interest for a budding, young designer or person with a good work ethic who is open to learning.

You have to be creative and think beyond the limitations of conventional wisdom. Or you and wife can keep making yourselves ill trying to do it all until one of you gets seriously ill and THEN watch your choices evaporate and less attractive options get forced upon you.

Zambookajoe

I understand, I have high expectations, and my wife is worst then me, she hired a cleaning lady and fired her the same day lol

I wasted my time with an employee that I let go last fall, no work ethic, always on the phone, texting and Facebook. WaaaAaaaaaaammm, get out enough is enough

one day, Ill find a good person

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I found that for the most part it is better to hire someone with no experience for production and installation. It's best if they have core values that aren't easily taught like; good attitude, good character, and attention to detail. They also need to be good with their hands and have computer skills. Lets face it experience doesn't necessarily mean good experience and bad habits are hard to unlearn.

I know when your busy finding the time to train someone new can be a real pain, but if you keep it simple and train them to do one of the easier tasks in a day or two you will get some relief. Relief to the point you won't keep thinking "It would be easier and faster to just do it myself". If you have them weed vinyl, put weed boarders around every line until they learn not to cut through the vinyl and liner. Instead of cutting 10' of vinyl at a time, cut smaller pieces. Also, have them tape the vinyl down before they weed it until they are proficient (remember your first time, it felt like you need 4 hands to weed a 15" x 30 piece of vinyl.) In the beginning they are going to learn the best way to fix mistakes because they will be making a lot of them. We all make them and it's part of the process so teach the process of fixing mistakes as well as how to avoid them. Don't forget to grab a stack and work beside them from time to time. When you do this you show them what can be done and what you expect without words. As your working beside them think about every little step, what your doing and why. After you do 4 or 5 to their one, show them something new and talk about the process.

Every time they get proficient at a task, give them something new to challenge them. If they don't pick it up give them a reasonable amount of time before you fire them. Most of the people who are slow to learn will never get it but a lot of the medium learners will be your most consistent employees. People who learn quickly will often get bored if you don't consistently have something new and challenging. When they get bored they will miss steps and mess things up. Nature of the Beast.

Don't forget to factor in a raise for new hires. When they consistently add stress you'll eventually have to fire them, when they relieve stress and make you profits you will need to reward them. First praise then a raise.

As far as work ethic, phone use, cigarette breaks, attendance, ..., it's always easier to lay down the law and your expectations in the beginning and be less strict later than it is to be easy going and then finally get fed up and drop the hammer. You and your wife should set down and discuss all your pet peeves and address them in the ad and/or during the hiring process. The clearer you define your expectations the easier it will be to find the right person.