• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

managing fonts

2 see signz

how do you guys manage your fonts? and how do you search for a font that is on the computer but not installed?
ive got amp font viewer, but i cant search for a particular font, need to go through each one..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I use a font manager named Typograf which, among other things, allows you to move fonts to any folder you choose. This makes it a relatively easy task to sort out your fonts for viewing later. So I used it to sort my fonts on my hard drive by category. Serif, san serif, scripts, etc. You can create subcategories for further time saving. Scripts, for example, can be separated into casuals, connected and non-connected formals. Serifs can be easily separated into traditional, modern and slab serifs. I then also created folders for the same fonts that are sorted by manufacturer.

Now when I want to look up a font by name or search for a matching style, I have it narrowed down substantially. Typograf allows me to enter whatever text I want to see and I just scroll a page at a time to do my viewing. Takes very little time.

Border

When using either of these manager programs, do you still have to have your fonts installed in the main font folder for programs to be able to use them or can you simply set all of your fonts to be stored and accessed on an external drive, for example?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
When using either of these manager programs, do you still have to have your fonts installed in the main font folder for programs to be able to use them or can you simply set all of your fonts to be stored and accessed on an external drive, for example?

Typograf will display uninstalled fonts wherever they may be, local or remote, and even allows you to save different folders as menu favorites.