• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Managing shop workflow

Zambookajoe

Anybody have any tips on getting a good workflow schedule, Im having problems managing and taking smaller jobs while having bigger projects going , some customers realize that my bigger jobs and contracts are what pays the bills and put it off till I have time to produce them but I always get a few pricks being asses about it.

Theres no way Im buying more equipment to supply small jobs and customers that mouth me off

CentralSigns

I try to assign a portion of the day to small jobs only. That way no matter how much time the big jobs are taking, the small jobs still get done. A lot of times the small jobs turn into big jobs another time round somewhere down the road.

Letterbox Mike

It's really hard to say without knowing alot more about how your shop currently works. How many employees do you have? How do you currently manage and schedule jobs? What's the ration of big/time consuming jobs to smaller quick jobs? What kind of work do you do? Specifically what kinds of issues are you experiencing (give us some real examples)?

I'll say this for sure though. You can't put small jobs on the back burner for big jobs unless you want to drive customer away. If you're too busy to take on the small job because of larger jobs, be upfront with the customer and decline the work or establish a time frame in which you can complete their job, and stick to it. But don't promise one deadline and keep pushing it and blowing people off, that goes down hill quickly.

pointjockey

we handle small jobs in this very manor and it works for us very well....

I try to assign a portion of the day to small jobs only. That way no matter how much time the big jobs are taking, the small jobs still get done. A lot of times the small jobs turn into big jobs another time round somewhere down the road.

Zambookajoe

we are 2 full time signmakers and a 3rd when we are super busy, Also we just signed a major contract with construction firm for 5 years plus we had already one signed with another manufacturing company that pay us top dollar for priority so weve got obligations to them so its kind of hard

I like doing small jobs, less hassle, no contracts, cash.

I try my best to satisfy my present customers , the new ones I book 2-3 weeks at contact some understand somebite my head off, I cant book too much either cause Im only at a phone call away from a big order thats rush to my contracts.

thats my biggest worry

mark in tx

we are 2 full time signmakers and a 3rd when we are super busy

we just signed a major contract

I cant book too much either cause Im only at a phone call away from a big order thats rush to my contracts.

Sounds like you are at that tipping point, too much work to handle, almost enough work to hire someone else.

This might sound crazy, but consider it.

Hire 2 people.

1 for production, 1 for office management, and you pull back to become the lead sales, manager, and everything else.

By freeing yourself up to bring the work in, you'll be able to afford the extra people.

Letterbox Mike

Sounds like you are at that tipping point, too much work to handle, almost enough work to hire someone else.

This might sound crazy, but consider it.

Hire 2 people.

1 for production, 1 for office management, and you pull back to become the lead sales, manager, and everything else.

By freeing yourself up to bring the work in, you'll be able to afford the extra people.

This is the solution. It's hard at first to pull the trigger on someone like an office manager who may not necessarily be producing billable work, but it's one of the best things you can do in your position. They will pay for themselves tenfold in a short amount of time.

Zambookajoe

I understand, I need probably an extra hand Its just I know Ill be training more then producing for a while and right now is not the time

Kind of a double edge sword