Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual cold laminator

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Pideas, Oct 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    I'm looking for a cold laminator that can help me do one-offs. I currently have a 60" Royal Sovereign laminator but I don't want to have to switch out the rolls when I have a one-off type job.

Does anyone have any feedback on a manual cold laminator like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39-Manual-...742836&hash=item1a25b7b9b3:g:YHsAAOSwhuRfBTC5

I have tried doing it by hand using the Big Squeegee but it doesn't give me a nice clean adhesion. I often times see silvering on the finished product. I normally print onto self adhesive vinyl, laminate and then mount to foam board.

Tags:
  2. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    i had one of those to do some tests with. except mine was 1300mm.
    The quality is very ****. the rollers aren't very sturdy.
    But at a light pressure it'll do the job.
    i ended up building a table laminator out of the rollers but the rollers suck as previously mentioned.

IT may do the job you need but don't expect much at all.

3. netsol

netsol Very Active Member

Apr 26, 2016
    englishtown, nj
    i bought one of those years ago, never used it

you might be better off, watching ebay or craigslist & grabbing a used daige

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I just got one of these for laying panels, so I wouldn't have to unload my laminator for them. It doesn't seem like it would do too well for regular lamination, since it has no takeup reel and is a little 'jumpy', but the price is hard to beat. I got the 51" model for doing 4' panels. Rollers were smoother than I'd wagered, and the only real down side is having to run to both sides to adjust the nip, but when doing multiple panels I have a second person on the opposite side. Had to put my own marks on the knobs so I'd know where the nip was set, to give even tension.
    The one piece I tried to laminate came out with trash in it, but otherwise even adhesion. It was around 2'x5', run through long ways.
    But as others said, you get what you pay for, and its not going to compete with a high dollar laminator.

5. Pideas

Pideas Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Thanks for the input. I figure I would "get what I paid for," but thought maybe the small investment would be worth it.

Does anyone try laminating by hand with a squeegee? We've tried laminating with the Big Squeegee using our normal gloss laminate (same material as what we would use with our Royal Sovereign laminator), but never got the quality we wanted. Is there another laminate that might work better using laminating by hand?

6. Lasermike

Lasermike New Member

Jun 12, 2019
    Sanford FL
    You might look at the Coda brand of laminators.
    They've been around for decades and make a quality product.
    http://www.codamount.com/laminators

7. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I used one of those laminators for awhile and it worked fine. You have to get the pressure relatively equal on each side is all but that's easy. I would get each side to where they started to get tension and then turn both knobs at the same time about another turn or so. It was helpful to have someone else turn the crank while you pulled the backing but it can be done with 1 person too.

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Laminating with satin or matte vinyl is much more forgiving than gloss, just FYI. I converted 90% over to satin and 50% of the time, it works every time.
    But really, Arlon 3420 Satin is a fairly thick, fairly stable laminate.