• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Manually Laminating Vehicle Wraps... Is it possible to master?

At the first sign company I worked for we only had a Roland Sp540v for print/cut.
If we were laminating in-house it was spray lam (frog juice), but that only works for "flat" decals; not wraps.
When we needed something laminated (like a wrap) we found a couple local wholesalers who would laminate for us.

That's looking like at least the short term route for me too.

MikePro

if I were stuck on a deserted island, and the only way for me to find rescue were to McGuyver a wrap lamination with nothing but vinyl application tools then I would have two ideas:
option A) tape tile to the rock suitable as a worktable (can't get sand in your lamination, duh), and then tape-hinge the laminate to print & apply ever so-gently. Only removing a little backing at a time as to avoid dipping slack onto the print. Of course, there would be massive silvering due to inconsistencies in direction/pressure of application BUT I'm pretty sure it come-out during the wrap as the combination of stretching/squeeging & the heat from the island sun usually cures these things. pop bubbles in the laminate later once applied, as to not chance piercing the vinyl prior to wrapping contours.

option B) to avoid bubbles altogether, there's always the wet apply method. First one must apply/transfer the paper-backed tile of wrap vinyl to a plastic liner. Luckily everyone always keep scrap from a previous deserted-island wrap lamination around, for these situations, because paper backing from most wrap vinyls does not like getting wet! Next combine 9 parts water with 1 part coconut juice & 1 part sweat to make a solution, and wet apply laminate to print. EZPZ.

luckily, we're not on a desert island. ...and even McGuyver would tell you to just go buy a Laminator. :)

Nuagedesigns

Sounds ever so familiar. I was a young man back in 2004 who thought that wraps were cool. I had been using a plotter for 5 years and my small part/time business was beigning to grow. I took a leap of faith and financed my first large format solvent printer and matching plotter. Called my distributor and asked what I needed to wrap my car? They ship me a 3M Wrap combo material and laminate. I recieve my 2 rolls and call my sales rep to ask how to laminate the prints? Never tried to sell me alaminator or ask if I had one. Little did I know anything about laminating. I too didn't want to invest more money as I was working out of my dining room with a JV3 and 54" Plotter. I found a used Daige online ruined say 30ft of material and wrap figuring it out. Used the heck out of that Daige for another 3 years before I could afford or justify a good laminator. Sold the Daige and upgraded to a Royal Soverign. We run at least 8 rolls of laminate a month though our machine now.

As others have stated the BS is good for somethings but is not meant to replace a laminator for large prints such as wraps.
Keep that BS near by and use it for all your smaller jobs, it takes time but you will find your sweet spot and laminate miles of small prints and mount thousands of signs with that handy tool.

Best of luck on your son and yours adventure, My father helped me start my business years ago and I thank him for all he has helped with.

And we all have ruined prints even through a more expensive top of the line laminator......$#%T Happens.

.... Sold the Daige and upgraded to a Royal Soverign. We run at least 8 rolls of laminate a month though our machine now.

As others have stated the BS is good for somethings but is not meant to replace a laminator for large prints such as wraps.
Keep that BS near by and use it for all your smaller jobs, it takes time but you will find your sweet spot and laminate miles of small prints and mount thousands of signs with that handy tool.

Best of luck on your son and yours adventure, My father helped me start my business years ago and I thank him for all he has helped with.

And we all have ruined prints even through a more expensive top of the line laminator......$#%T Happens.

Good to hear I'm not alone in trying to make things work with low investment. So many people never start anything because they don't have the "required investment"...

I'm on my way now to look at a used RS 65" heat assist. The price seems good and they're going to do a demo... but they replaced with a new US Tech, so that has me a little concerned as to why they would do that. We'll see what happens. If I get the RS I'll let you know.

Doyle

I can't imagine attempting to wrap a vehicle or any other printed signage without a laminator.... it is a necessity. That being said, we bought a USTech laminator a couple of years ago and have been quite pleased with its performance. We use it for all types of laminating and some mounting, probably run about 400-500' of laminate through it every week with very few hiccups. It is a relatively small investment considering your plans for the machine.

TimToad

I guess if I was in your position and was trying to make a good impression on my first full wrap customer AND be able to stand behind the quality of the work, I'd have utilized a wholesaler to provide the fully laminated prints and eliminate all of the guess work, wasted material and time, etc.

We can't forget that the customer has expectations of a certain level of quality, competency and durability. You cutting your teeth and practicing on their vehicle is not exactly the most professional appearance to project.

Its hard enough to do a good, clean install even when having experience on what sounds like a large size project. Throwing inexperience in the essential material handling phase AND installation into the mix does not seem like a good all around combination for your customer.

I know we all have our pride to consider and our investment in equipment, but without trusting or satisfied customers, none of it is worth much.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Now that you have your lamination problem figured out... i would recommend buying some sort of stand alone air conditioner... You are going to be miserable trying to install a wrap in 90 degrees. it makes everything extremely difficult

Now that you have your lamination problem figured out... i would recommend buying some sort of stand alone air conditioner... You are going to be miserable trying to install a wrap in 90 degrees. it makes everything extremely difficult

Put A/C in the shop today!

Day 2 Update --

Ok, so two days now since the meltdown upon realization that I didn't have all the machines needed. Lots of progress since then, much thanks to all of the input here.

1. I found a great wholesale laminator, took him the rest of the job I was working on (my truck) and it came out flawless at a very fair cost. About .65 sf using my material. If he was close to my shop, that would probably be my "plan A" in most cases.

2. I looked at two used laminators and ended up purchasing a used Royal Sovereign 65" for $1000.00, which I think was a pretty good price. They demo'd the laminator and it all seemed to work, but obviously I didn't really know what to look for so hopefully it's all good. When we got it back to the shop (from 150 miles away) I noticed a small crack in the upper roller, not sure if that's normal. We'll try it out tomorrow.

3. I extended the ductwork from our office A/C to provide cooling to the install shop. The unit is big enough for the square footage, but the high ceilings may give us some trouble. We'll see!

So we'll finish my truck tomorrow and test out the laminator. Probably laminate some floor graphics for the section of the shop where we'll put the laminator (assuming the A/C is working well).

chuck2302

I mounted a cheap 40" manual roller into a table so the print lays flat. I usually put a little weight to keep it tensioned as I roll it through. It's silvered a little but that gets better as it sits for a day. For race cars it's plenty good. Just make sure you turn in the dials evenly. I drilled a dimple in the knows and on the frame when I had it set. I LAMINATE 12-14 ft with this all day. I have about 300 into it but part of that is for a work table too.

Attachments

• 20151017_173953.jpg
    20151017_173953.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 20151017_181326.jpg
    20151017_181326.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 137

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
To add with changing plate making technology in the Flexo industry there will likely (hopefully) be a surplus of laminators on the market soon while many of them may be smaller narrow web machines I'm confident there will be a decent amount of larger ones as well, I'd love to grab another and not have to continuously change out Cal to Cast.

fastmax

i worked at a shop years ago that wet laminated because they had it down to a science and it left no silvering.

the process is as follows

buy 2 12 inch window squeegee, like at the car wash
fill up 2 spray bottles with a half a capful of baby shampoo or unscented laundry detergent (yes laundry detergent)

tape your untrimmed print to the table print up

lightly spray the whole print

put the laminate on face down on the print the previous spraying should help it sticka bit to the print while you peel the backing paper off the laminate

spray the **** out of the laminates glue side

maybe stand on the table or do what you gotta do to flip the laminate together (btw you need 2 people)

lower it onto the print niceley and spray the top again so the squeegee glides

now you and your partner should create a center hinge with the squeegees and then work outwords

main thing to be carefull with is dont let the backing paper of your print get too wet, so you may have to practice a bit on some regular colored vinyl to get the proccess down

goood luck!

when this works it looks fantastic so i hope it can get you through the next few jobs before you get a laminator

jsut a note, the car wash style sqeegees are the type you pull towards yourself not push liek a normal squeegee

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
i worked at a shop years ago that wet laminated because they had it down to a science and it left no silvering.

fill up 2 spray bottles with a half a capful of baby shampoo or unscented laundry detergent (yes laundry detergent)

put the laminate on face down on the print the previous spraying should help it sticka bit to the print while you peel the backing paper off the laminate

maybe stand on the table or do what you gotta do to flip the laminate together (btw you need 2 people)

now you and your partner should create a center hinge with the squeegees and then work outwords

main thing to be carefull with is dont let the backing paper of your print get too wet, so you may have to practice a bit on some regular colored vinyl to get the proccess down

goood luck!

when this works it looks fantastic so i hope it can get you through the next few jobs before you get a laminator

jsut a note, the car wash style sqeegees are the type you pull towards yourself not push liek a normal squeegee

UGH. They would be better off sending the prints to get laminated. This is a messy, ridiculous venture. Buy a laminator or get out of the wrap business.

fastmax

UGH. They would be better off sending the prints to get laminated. This is a messy, ridiculous venture. Buy a laminator or get out of the wrap business.

yea, obviously a laminator is much more reliable and efficient, but if you have the time and not the money maybe this can get them through this job they are already in the middle of

Malkin

goood luck!

I have used this method when I didn't want to deal with changing out a roll on our laminator for just a small job, say less than a 3ft x 4ft piece.
Helps to completely tape down the vinyl all the way around, this keeps most liquid from getting under.
Never used a 12" window squeegee, but we love the orange covered geek wrap squeegees, works well for almost every job.
Also, we only deal with cast laminates, so it's easy to wrinkle them if you go to fast or have too big a piece.
Probably only do this about once every other month, usually I just try to gang stuff that needs the same laminate together so we don't have to switch too often.