• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Marching Band Parade Banners

Celo222

Anyone ever supply a marching band with a vinyl pole pocketed banner to use in a parade? They aren't as fancy as the fabric ones with the fringe at the bottom, but they're a lot cheaper. If you have, have they been happy with them? I was just going to order a 4x8 18oz banner from signs365. Are wind slits a good idea? Any other suggestions?

Billct2

I've done many. Doesn't need to be 18oz, 15oz is fine. I put pole pockets top & bottom. Use white pvc plumbing pipe, top pole extends 18" or so on either side.
Bottom pole is smaller and shorter, so it doesn't stick out. 48" is too tall, you don't want to have to hold it up for a whole parade.

Celo222

I've done many. Doesn't need to be 18oz, 15oz is fine. I put pole pockets top & bottom. Use white pvc plumbing pipe, top pole extends 18" or so on either side.
Bottom pole is smaller and shorter, so it doesn't stick out. 48" is too tall, you don't want to have to hold it up for a whole parade.
Thanks! I thought the same thing when he mentioned the size. I'll talk him down to 36"

unclebun

If you're ordering it anyway, order a sublimated polyester fabric banner. Even without a fringe it will look better, be lighter, and store better.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
30" or 32" should be fine, not 48". No wind slits. We use water pipe for the top and we insert small chain link in the bottom pocket and tell them to tie the ends closed with wire ties so the chain doesn't fall out.

Anyone ever supply a marching band with a vinyl pole pocketed banner to use in a parade? They aren't as fancy as the fabric ones with the fringe at the bottom, but they're a lot cheaper. If you have, have they been happy with them? I was just going to order a 4x8 18oz banner from signs365. Are wind slits a good idea? Any other suggestions?
I suggest mesh banner and B2Sign.com

Celo222

What size diameter PVC would you suggest... 3"? It's an 8 foot banner. I'm wondering how well it would work to use 2 - 6ft poles with a coupler in the middle?

Sofia Lucas

Blue Dot Signs
I don't think, wind slit is a good idea. It reduces wind resistance very minimal, like hardly 10%. However, it may weak the banner material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have an 8' banner. In order for someone to hold on at each end comfortably, ya need at least 18" to 24" of pole sticking out. PVC pipe will bow in the middle and if ya couple it together in the middle, it will drag on the ground. Ya need a pipe that will not bow at say 12' when holding on to each end only. However, if they have a third person walking and holding on in the middle, your idea can work.

Celo222

You have an 8' banner. In order for someone to hold on at each end comfortably, ya need at least 18" to 24" of pole sticking out. PVC pipe will bow in the middle and if ya couple it together in the middle, it will drag on the ground. Ya need a pipe that will not bow at say 12' when holding on to each end only. However, if they have a third person walking and holding on in the middle, your idea can work.
How about 2 - 8' x 1" dia aluminum poles from Menards. placed side by side, but overhanging by 18" Then ziptie them together several places? Make sense?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    5.2 KB · Views: 107

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've never done it, so I can't answer that one. My question to you would be..... why are you trying to re-invent the wheel ?? If it's the cost, are they being cheap or are you ?? It doesn't make sense to do something like that and then hafta make an extra large loop. You're just wasting space on a loop, thu making your copy smaller. A 12'x 1" pipe through there will be more than sufficient and still get heavy by the end of the parade. Keep in mind, these are the kids that can't play on the teams or play in the band, so they get to hold the banner. They aren't gonna be to keen on carrying a make-shift klutzy banner.

Celo222

I've never done it, so I can't answer that one. My question to you would be..... why are you trying to re-invent the wheel ?? If it's the cost, are they being cheap or are you ?? It doesn't make sense to do something like that and then hafta make an extra large loop. You're just wasting space on a loop, thu making your copy smaller. A 12'x 1" pipe through there will be more than sufficient and still get heavy by the end of the parade. Keep in mind, these are the kids that can't play on the teams or play in the band, so they get to hold the banner. They aren't gonna be to keen on carrying a make-shift klutzy banner.
I can find PVC, but not sure about find 1" aluminum longer than 8' locally. Banner is already made at 8'...the poles they said they had don't work. Trying to come up with a solution for the Sat. parade. no one's being cheap.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I never said 1" aluminum. Water pipe with a thick wall for less bending. Steel tubes come I think in 21' lengths. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes and just about any building supply place or plumbing supply.

First you mentioned their poles didn't work. Can you tell us more ??

edit: Oh, I just saw it's an 8' banner, so a 12' length will work. PVC will still bend/bow at 12'.

Celo222

I never said 1" aluminum. Water pipe with a thick wall for less bending. Steel tubes come I think in 21' lengths. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes and just about any building supply place or plumbing supply.

edit: Oh, I just saw it's an 8' banner, so a 12' length will work. PVC will still bend/bow at 12'.
Thank you...I think I saw someone else recommend aluminum for weight. I'm headed to a plumbing supply house with banner in hand to find something that will work.

Celo222

Thank you...I think I saw someone else recommend aluminum for weight. I'm headed to a plumbing supply house with banner in hand to find something that will work.

edit: Oh, I just saw it's an 8' banner, so a 12' length will work. PVC will still bend/bow at
I wonder what happened ??
I ended up getting a 10' - 2" Schedule40 PVC pipe and it didn't bow at all. They may also get a coupler on the end to extend it out another foot on each end. I heard from the band director today and he said the banner was perfect. I also put a piece of cheap 3/4" pvc in the bottom pocket. Thanks!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
2"..... I didn't think your pocket would take that. I was picturing 1". Good for you, ya got it done and in time. :thumb: