• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Marine installation

4R Graphics

Ok got a customer that wants some lettering on a boat.
Heres the question what is the best material to use I am thinking Avery A9 would be ok as I have some in the color they want but what is best? Also what about the prep the boat is a fiberglass gel coated boat so how do you prep for best adhesion? Last question there was talk of possiblly doing some digital print stuff what do you guys recommend for digital print on a fiberglass boat and what about the prep for that also whats the realistic life span on vinyl lettering and digital print in a marine enviroment? I am in Florida and the boat does mostlly offshore fishing so lots of salt water.

Thanks for the help.

Brendan

Same deal as vehicles.... strip the wax and clean, clean, clean. Use hi perf no matter what the flavor. You can print as well. If you do use air egress, make sure you heat it well after installation and keep it above the waterline.
The vinyl now lasts a good long time so I wouldnt worry about fading.

4R Graphics

You say strip the wax I assume that a wax and grease remover from boat or auto store is what I should use just worried about the gel coat dont want to mess up a boat man those things are expensive. Then wipe it down many times with some ISO Alcohol that's what I usually do with auto's wax and grease remover then Alcohol then apply graphics and the printed graphics should last the life span advertised 5-7yr correct? Thanks again just really got to get this one right lots of future work rests in the balance.

Brendan

I typically use a citrus based cleaner then denatured alcohol to remove all traces of the citrus. Wipe it down then do it again. Im comfortable with the lifespan you mention. However, I am in Maine. You might want to call a company called SignZoo in Sarasota. They do alot of boat wraps for the big tourney guys. Im sure they will clue you in to longevity in the Florida sunshine. (by the way, I AM jealous)

4R Graphics

Brendan, You say you use a citrus cleaner like those orange oil based cleaners I have one that I use for removing adhesive never tried to use it for install prep. thanks for the tip ill try itout on something first before I use it.